The New Orleans mayoral election of 1969-1970 resulted in the election of Moon Landrieu as mayor of New Orleans. This election also saw an unexpectedly strong showing for a Republican candidate; the party had previously had negligible support in the city.
Incumbent mayor Victor H. Schiro was term-limited after winning election in 1961 and 1965.
Major candidates in the Democratic primary included:
- former State Representative and City Councilman-at-Large Moon Landrieu,
- City Councillor-at-Large John J. Petre had previously been a state legislator.
- Judge David Gertler was well financed and had strong support from the city's Jewish community
First Democratic Party Primary, November 8, 1969
Second Democratic Party Primary, December 13, 1969
General Election, 1970
|Ben C. Toledano
- Orleans Parish Democratic Executive Committee. First and Second Democratic Primary Elections, 1969.
- Fitzmorris, James E. Frankly, Fitz! Pelican, 1992.