New Oxford American Dictionary
|New Oxford American Dictionary|
|Author||Angus Stevenson (editor)
Christine A. Lindberg (editor)
|Subject||Dictionary of American English|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|third edition, August, 2010|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
NOAD is based upon the New Oxford Dictionary of English (NODE), published in the United Kingdom in 1998, although with substantial editing, additional entries, and the inclusion of illustrations. It is based on a corpus linguistics analysis of Oxford's 200 million word database of contemporary American English.
Published in September 2001, the first edition was edited by Elizabeth J. Jewell and Frank Abate.
Published in May 2005, the second edition was edited by Erin McKean. The edition added nearly 3,000 new words, senses, and phrases. It was in a large format, with 2096 pages, and was 8½" by 11" in size. It included a CD-ROM with the full text of the dictionary for Palm OS devices.
Since 2005 Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system has come bundled with a dictionary application and widget which credits as its source "Oxford American Dictionaries", and contains the full text of NOAD2. The Amazon Kindle reading device also uses NOAD as its built-in dictionary, along with a choice for the Oxford Dictionary of English.
Oxford University Press published NOAD2 in electronic form in 2006 at the OxfordAmericanDictionary.com, and in 2010, along with the Oxford Dictionary of English, as part of Oxford Dictionaries Online.
Published in August 2010, the third edition was edited by Angus Stevenson and Christine A. Lindberg. The edition added more than 2,000 new words, senses, and phrases.
Other Oxford Dictionaries:
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (SOED)
- Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE)
- Concise Oxford English Dictionary (COED)
- Australian Oxford Dictionary (AOD)
- Canadian Oxford Dictionary (CanOD)
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (OALD)
- New Oxford American Dictionary, First Edition, Elizabeth J. Jewell and Frank R. Abate (editors), 2192 pages, September 2001, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-511227-X.
- New Oxford American Dictionary, Second Edition, Erin McKean (editor), 2096 pages, May 2005, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-517077-6.
- New Oxford American Dictionary, Third Edition, Angus Stevenson and Christine A. Lindberg (editors), 2096 pages, August 2010, Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-539288-3.