New Pole for Italy
|New Pole for Italy
Nuovo Polo per l'Italia
|leaders||Pier Ferdinando Casini
|Founded||15 November 2010|
|Dissolved||8 May 2012|
|Merged into||With Monti for Italy (majority)|
|Politics of Italy
The New Pole for Italy (Nuovo Polo per l'Italia, NPI), better known as the Third Pole (Terzo Polo) and less frequently as Pole of the Nation (Polo della Nazione), was a centre-right coalition of parties in Italy active from late 2010 to sometime in 2012.
The NPI was founded on 15 December 2010 both as an alternative to the centre-right coalition between The People of Freedom and Lega Nord led by Silvio Berlusconi and to the centre-left coalition between the Democratic Party and Italy of Values, led by Pier Luigi Bersani. Most NPI members were former supporters of Berlusconi, but there is also a relevant group of disillusioned Democrats. The constituent members of the coalition were the Union of the Centre (leader: Pier Ferdinando Casini), Future and Freedom (Gianfranco Fini), Alliance for Italy (Francesco Rutelli) and the Movement for Autonomies (Raffaele Lombardo).
The NPI, which was never an electoral coalition, was disbanded sometime in 2012, after Casini announced that he was no longer interested in the project. Rutelli's ApI even returned to the centre-left and one of its members, Bruno Tabacci, decided to run in the 2012 Italian centre-left primary election.
In September 2012 Luca Cordero di Montezemolo announced that he would take part through his Future Italy association to the formation o a new "popular, reform and authentically liberal force" which would hegemonize the political centre of Italian politics, in dialogue with "responsible people" of the established parties. Casini and Fini responded by proposing a joint "List for Italy" without party symbols. In January 2013, after Mario Monti had announced his intention to step in into politics, Future Italy and other groups formed Civic Choice with direct support from Monti. Subsequently Civic Choice, UdC and FLI joined forces in the With Monti for Italy coalition.
- Union of the Centre (leader: Pier Ferdinando Casini) – Christian democracy, centrism, social conservatism
- Future and Freedom for Italy (leader: Gianfranco Fini) – Liberal conservatism, national conservatism, liberalism
- Alliance for Italy (leader: Francesco Rutelli) – Liberalism, Christian democracy, centrism, green politics
- Movement for Autonomies (leader: Raffaele Lombardo) – Regionalism, Christian democracy
- Italian Liberal Party (leader: Stefano de Luca) – Liberalism
- Berlusconi punta ai «delusi» Fini-Casini: nasce il Polo della Nazione
- Fini: dimissioni? Opzione che non esiste E Bossi invita ad «abbassare i toni»