New Regal Theater
|New Regal Theater|
New Regal Theater
|Address||1641 E. 79th Street|
|Type||Performing Arts Center|
|Opened||August 29, 1927|
|Closed||June 2003- October 2007<|
|Other names||Avalon Theater|
|Designated:||June 17, 1992|
The New Regal Theater (originally Avalon Theater) is located at 1641 East 79th Street, in Chicago, Illinois. The theater opened as the Avalon Theater in 1927. The design is an "atmospheric" Moorish Revival movie palace designed by John Eberson, who was nationally known for the atmospheric design. It is said that the theater's design was inspired by a Persian incense burner that Eberson found in an antique market. The Avalon Theater was in business until the late 1970s.
Afterward, the building served as the home of the Miracle Temple Church until becoming a performing arts venue once again in 1987. At that time, the theater was renamed in honor of the old Regal Theater, a cultural center for Chicago's African American community that was demolished in 1973. The old Regal Theater was located at 4719 S. King Dr.
The former owners of the New Regal Theater, Edward and Bettianne Gardner, closed the theater in 2003 after losing money for several years. In 2008, the building was purchased by a group that included Ron and Regina Evans with the hope of reviving it as a cultural venue. However, it has seen little use. The site did hold a party to celebrate Barack Obama's presidential nomination acceptance speech in August 2008.
- "New Regal Theatre in Chicago, IL". Cinema Treasures. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Mark Konkol. "No man is an Island - Hop off the Dan Ryan for a compelling journey through a hood that's authentic Chicago". Chicago Sun-Times. November 9, 2007. pg. 12.
- New Regal Theater, City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development, Landmarks Division (2003). Retrieved on August 21, 2007.
- David Roeder and Fran Spielman. "Regal rebirth - The old Avalon Theatre is taking on new life as investors close a $2.36 million deal for the South Side icon". Chicago Sun-Times. March 14, 2008. pg. 54.
- David Roeder and Fran Spielman. "Curtains for New Regal?" Chicago Sun-Times. October 2, 2009. Retrieved on October 23, 2009.
- Chicagoans Celebrate Obama's Nomination. CBS 2 Chicago. August 28, 2008. Retrieved on October 23, 2009.