New Russia Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|New Russia Township, Ohio|
Municipalities of Lorain County, Ohio
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.6 km2)|
|• Land||24.1 sq mi (62.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||98.0/sq mi (37.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1729754|
New Russia Township is one of the eighteen townships of Lorain County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,357 people in the township, 1,918 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in central Lorain County, it borders the following townships:
- Amherst Township - north
- Elyria Township - northeast corner
- Carlisle Township - east
- LaGrange Township - southeast corner
- Pittsfield Township - south
- Camden Township - southwest corner
- Henrietta Township - west
- Brownhelm Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only New Russia Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorain County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 14 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.