New Smyrna Beach High School
|New Smyrna Beach High School|
|1015 10th Street
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, USA
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||"Working together with parents, school personnel, and community members, New Smyrna Beach High School students will graduate with the knowledge, skills, and values necessary to be positive contributors to society."|
|School district||Volusia County School District|
|Number of students||2,048|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Website||New Smyrna Beach High School|
New Smyrna Beach High School (NSBHS) is a high school located in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Their mascot is the Barracuda, which is most commonly referred to as the "Cuda." The high school opened in 1963 on what is now called Barracuda Boulevard. In the fall of 2006 NSBHS opened their new location, approximately 3 miles from the old school, at 1015 10th Street, just down the road from New Smyrna Beach Middle School. The school has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. The annual yearbook is known as The Smyrnan.
Currently ranked as an "A" school by the state of Florida, NSBHS offers AP and Honors classes, as well as the AVID program. The school offers specialized academies in numerous specialized areas:
- Culinary Academy
- Engineering and Design Academy
- Medical Academy
- Sports Marketing Academy
The high school offers various activities for students to get involved in such as academic team, The Barracuda Band, drama, International Thespian Society troupe 1903, art, spirit club, class steering committees, photography, Key Club, FFA, HOSA, SGA, Spanish club, French club, Cuda Care, Beta Club, National Honor Society, Cuda Marketing, Campus Impact, chess club, Model UN, Interact, and more! New Smyrna Beach High School is home to the award winning varsity dance team, The Showdolls. They are currently under the direction of Ms. Renne Lindsey. The Showdolls have won 11 national dance team championships:
- 1990 Prop:-"Joker's Wild"
- 1993 Prop - "Hairspray"
- 1994 Prop - "Orient Express"
- 1995 Prop - "True Colors"
- 1996 Prop - "On Safari"
- 1998 Prop - "Vogue"
- 1999 High Kick - "Prisoner"
- 2000 High Kick - "Electricity"
- 2004 Prop - "A Pirate's Life"
- 2005 Prop - "Live From Mars"
- 2010 High Kick - "Cirque"
- 2011 High Kick - "Nerds"
New Smyrna Beach High School, a 4A school and Five Star Conference member, has an extensive athletics program. Over 500 students participate in FHSAA sanctioned football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball, wrestling, cheerleading, cross country, track & field, golf, tennis, bowling, swimming, softball, and weightlifting. A combination of excellent student athletic ability and exceptional coaching resulted in numerous athletic scholarships being awarded to New Smyrna Beach High School athletes over the years. With numerous competitive sport opportunities, New Smyrna Beach High School is dedicated to a first-class athletic program and continued student athlete success.
- Wes Chandler, Hall of Fame professional football player (1974)
- Chris Isaac, former CFL quarterback with the Ottawa Rough Riders (1977)
- Darrell Fullington, former professional football player (1983)
- Dallas Baker, CFL professional football player (2001)
- Raheem Mostert, college football player at Purdue University (2011)
- Evan Geiselman, professional surfer
- Eric Geiselman, professional surfer
- Ladarius Halton college basketball player University of Florida 2002 and professional basketball player Turkey (2003)
- Official school website
- School Grades.http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp?action=verifySelectionSchool&report=SG&districts=64&schoolYear=2006-2007%2C2005-2006%2C2004-2005%2C2003-2004%2C2002-2003%2C2001-2002%2C2000-2001%2C1999-2000%2C1998-1999&school_grade=&level=School&schoolNumbers=643839