New Waverly, Texas
|New Waverly, Texas|
Location of New Waverly, Texas
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Density||423.4/sq mi (163.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1363803|
New Waverly is located at (30.539226, -95.479862).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.8 km²), of which, 2.2 square miles (5.8 km²) of it is land and 0.44% is water.
New Waverly is the home of the gymnastics training center operated by famed coach Béla Károlyi.
The Sam Houston National Forest is located nearby and operates a ranger station in the vicinity.
As of the census of 2000, there were 950 people, 378 households, and 255 families residing in the city. The population density was 423.4 people per square mile (163.7/km²). There were 418 housing units at an average density of 186.3 per square mile (72.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 62.21% White, 31.47% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 4.00% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.68% of the population.
There were 378 households out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 19.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 30.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,583, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $25,938 versus $17,885 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,475. About 17.4% of families and 21.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.2% of those under age 18 and 23.9% of those age 65 or over.
The City of New Waverly is served by the New Waverly Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "What is Rural?," Rural Texas in Transition. Window on State Government.
- "We can be reached at:" Gulf Coast Trades Center. Retrieved on December 8, 2011. "Gulf Coast Trades Center / Raven School 143 Forest Service Rd. 233 New Waverly, TX 77358"
- "Education Service Center, Region VI." (Map) Educational Service Center 6. Retrieved on December 8, 2011.