New Ways to Die
|"New Ways to Die"|
Cover to The Amazing Spider-Man #568.
Art by John Romita, Jr..
|Publication date||August – October 2008|
|Title(s)||The Amazing Spider-Man #568-#573|
Venom (Mac Gargan)
|Penciller(s)||John Romita, Jr.|
"New Ways to Die" is a six-issue Spider-Man story arc written by Dan Slott with art by John Romita, Jr. and published by Marvel Comics. The arc first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #568-#573.
The Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn come to New York City to hunt down the fugitive Spider-Man, who has been framed for a series of murders. Meanwhile, at the F.E.A.S.T. shelter run by Mister Negative the cancer-ridden Eddie Brock is miraculously healed. When the Thunderbolts track Spider-Man to the F.E.A.S.T. shelter, Brock reacts to the Venom symbiote (currently bonded to Mac Gargan), transforming into Anti-Venom (in Amazing Spider-Man #569). Now able to destroy symbiotes, he begins to attack both Venom and Spider-Man to remove all traces of the Venom symbiote from both. Spider-Man and Anti-Venom team up to take down the Thunderbolts. After a battle which results in a building collapsing, Songbird tells Spider-Man to lie low for the next few days. Osborn then holds a press conference, saying that Spider-Man has died in the collapse.
Amazing Spider-Man #568 sold 82,540 copies, the 7th best selling comics of August 2008. Amazing Spider-Man #573 sold 93,346 copies or 8th for October 2008. IGN gave the first issue of the arc an 8.0 out of 10 and the last issue 6.4.
- Dan Slott Talks Spidey in "New Ways to Die". Newsarama. August 14, 2008
- SPIDER-GASM: Slott talks "New Ways To Die", Comic Book Resources, August 27, 2008
- When Opposites Attack: Slott talks "New Ways To Die", Comic Book Resources, September 10, 2008
- Richards, Dave (May 1, 2008). Enemies at the Gates: Wacker Talks "Amazing Spider-Man". Comic Book Resources.
- Spider-Man: New Ways to Die at Marvel.com
- New Ways to Die at the Comic Book DB
- Interview with Dan Slott about Amazing Spider-Man:New Ways to Die