New York City Half Marathon
|New York City Half Marathon|
Runners going through Times Square in the inaugural New York City Half Marathon in 2006.
|Location||New York City|
|Course records||59:24 (men)
The course starts with a clockwise 6.2-mile (10 km) loop around hilly Central Park. The course then flattens and goes along Seventh Avenue to Times Square, where it follows 42nd Street to the West Side Highway, adjacent to the Hudson River. The race finishes near Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan.
Numerous world class runners have participated in the race, including marathon record holders Haile Gebrselassie and Paula Radcliffe, Olympic marathon medalists Catherine Ndereba, Meb Keflezighi, and Deena Kastor, 2008 U.S. Olympic marathoner Dathan Ritzenhein, and American half marathon record holder Ryan Hall.
In its earlier years, the event was run on various dates in the summer; in 2010, it was moved to March. The 2010 race had a field of 14,821 registered runners and 11,604 finishers.  Mary Wittenberg, president of the NYRR, said in 2010 that she expects a possible growth of over 20,000 participants in future years.
Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Date||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|1st||2006||August 27||Nyariki, TomTom Nyariki (KEN)||1:01:22||Ndereba, CatherineCatherine Ndereba (KEN)||1:09:43|
|2nd||2007||August 5||Gebrselassie, HaileHaile Gebrselassie (ETH)||59:24||Kibet, HildaHilda Kibet (NED)||1:10:32|
|3rd||2008||July 27||Tola, TadeseTadese Tola (ETH)||1:00:58||Ndereba, CatherineCatherine Ndereba (KEN)||1:10:19|
|4th||2009||August 16||Tola, TadeseTadese Tola (ETH)||1:01:06||Radcliffe, PaulaPaula Radcliffe (GBR)||1:09:45|
|5th||2010||March 21||Kamais, PeterPeter Kamais (KEN)||59:52||Yamauchi, MaraMara Yamauchi (GBR)||1:09:17|
|6th||2011||March 20||Farah, MoMo Farah (GBR)||1:00:23||Rotich, CarolineCaroline Rotich (KEN)||1:08:52|
|7th||2012||March 18||Kirui, PeterPeter Kirui (KEN)||59:39||Dado, FirehiwotFirehiwot Dado (ETH)||1:08:35|
|8th||2013||March 17||Kipsang, WilsonWilson Kipsang (KEN)||1:01:02||Rotich, CarolineCaroline Rotich (KEN)||1:09:09|
|9th||2014||March 16||Mutai, GeoffreyGeoffrey Mutai (KEN)||1:00:50||Kipyego, SallySally Kipyego (KEN)||1:08:31|
- Monti, David (2009). "NYC Half-Marathon Confirmed for August 16". LetsRun.com. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- Hanc, John (July 24, 2008). "Fitness – When It Comes to Marathons, Half May Be Better Than Whole". The New York Times. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "10,000 Runners for NYC Half-Marathon". WABC-TV. August 14, 2007. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "Familiar Champions Shine at the NYC Half-Marathon". New York Road Runners. August 17, 2009. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- "NYC Half Marathon 2006 – Inaugural Run". Marathonguide.com. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "Paula Radcliffe to Continue Recovery in New York Half Marathon". The Guardian. August 12, 2009. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- "Running 'Ritz' Takes 3rd in NYC Half-Marathon". Daily Camera. July 28, 2008. Retrieved February 10, 2009.[dead link]
- "Radcliffe's NYC Win Boosts World Title Bid". CNN. August 16, 2009. Retrieved August 16, 2009.
- Freeman, Rick (August 5, 2007). "Haile Gebrselassie Wins NYC Half Marathon to Keep Unbeaten Record". USA Today. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "Geoffrey Mutai and Sally Kipyego Triumph at NYC Half". runnersworld.com. March 16, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Kamais, Yamauchi Win at NYC Half Marathon". WABC-TV. Retrieved July 16, 2010.
- Denman, Elliott (March 17, 2010). "NYC Half-Marathon: Humble Beginning, Grand Plans". Universal Sports. Retrieved March 18, 2010.