New York Public Interest Research Group
|Industry||Non-Profit & Activism|
|Headquarters||New York State, United States|
|Rebecca Weber, Gene Russianoff, Blair Horner, Russ Haven|
|Slogan||"Building Student Power"|
The New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) is a New York State-wide student-directed, non-partisan, not for profit political organization. It has existed since 1973. Its current executive director is Rebecca Weber and its founding director was Donald K. Ross. Blair Horner was its Legislative Director for many years.
NYPIRG is controlled by a student board of directors. Any issue that NYPIRG works on, or stance it takes, must be approved by its student board of directors.  Aileen Sheil is the current chairperson of NYPIRG's board of directors. NYPIRG is one of the largest of the Public Interest Research Groups, which were inspired by Ralph Nader in the 1970s, and operate at the state level. After leaving Columbia University, current President of the United States Barack Obama worked at NYPIRG at its City College Chapter.
The focus of NYPIRG's program is the campus chapters. Campus chapters exist at schools in the State University of New York (SUNY) City University of New York (CUNY), and two private colleges (Pratt Institute and Syracuse University). The chapters are funded by activity fees which are voted on by students, and/or determined by student governments.
- University at Albany
- Binghamton University
- Borough of Manhattan Community College
- Bronx Community College
- Brooklyn College
- Buffalo State College
- City College of New York
- SUNY Cortland
- Hunter College
- Nassau Community College
- SUNY New Paltz
- New York City College of Technology
- SUNY College at Old Westbury
- Pratt Institute
- SUNY Purchase
- Queens College
- Queensborough Community College
- College of Staten Island
- Syracuse University
- SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- "About Us". NYPIRG Financial Information. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Blair Horner, prominent head of NY Public Interest Research Group, leaving post". Associated Press. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Nader, Ralph & Ross, Donald. Action for Change. Penguin Books, 1973 (rev. ed.)
- New York Public Interest Research Group official website
- New York Public Interest Research Group collected news and commentary at The New York Times