New York Shock Exchange
|Metro area||New York|
Dow Jones Average (B-team)
Union Squares (intraleague)
Coney Island Freakshow (intraleague)
|Venue||Skate Safe America, Old Bethpage, New York|
The league was founded by Gotham Girls Roller Derby referee Jonathan R in 2006. He organized a bout against from Pioneer Valley Roller Derby and quickly gathered a team which won 109-51 in April 2007. Later in the year, both leagues were founder members of the Men's Derby Coalition (MDC). They went on to win their first 23 bouts, including the 2010 MDC Championships, before finally succumbing to the St Louis GateKeepers at the Spring Roll tournament in early 2011. In late 2010, National Public Radio described the Shock Exchange squad as "quite possibly the strongest men's roller derby team in the country".
During 2011, the Shock Exchange organized its bouts as doubleheaders with the women's league, the Long Island Roller Rebels, in Old Bethpage, New York. The Men's Derby Coalition became the Men's Roller Derby Association (MRDA), and Shock Exchange hosted the 2011 MRDA Championships at the venue, successfully defending their title.
- Thomas Gerbasi, "Stocks Falling? Not on this New York Shock Exchange", Gotham Girls Roller Derby, 9 August 2011
- Chelsey Pollock, "Flamboyant, full-contact -- and dead serious", Hampshire Gazette, 9 August 2009
- Justice Feelgood Marshall, "Preview: MRDA Championships", Derby News Network, 21 October 2011
- Jed Kim, "Skating To An Arena Near You: Men's Roller Derby", National Public Radio, 12 September 2010
- Courtney Donahue, "Roller derby teams battle at the airstrip", Brooklyn Daily
- "NEW YORK WINS 2011 MRDA CHAMPIONSHIPS!", New York Shock Exchange