New York State Route 258
Map of Livingston and Wyoming counties with NY 258 highlighted in red
|Maintained by NYSDOT|
|Length:||1.85 mi (2.98 km)|
|Existed:||c. 1931 – present|
|West end:||NY 36 on Groveland–West Sparta town line|
|East end:||NY 63 in Groveland|
New York State Route 258 (NY 258) is a state highway located entirely within the town of Groveland in Livingston County, New York, in the United States. It connects NY 36 in the hamlet of Ross Corners to NY 63 in the hamlet of Groveland Station. NY 258 is named Flats Road and passes through the flat terrain of the valley surrounding Canaseraga Creek. Most of NY 258 is routed along the Groveland–West Sparta town line.
Although modern NY 258 is nothing more than a simple east–west connector between NY 36 and NY 63, it originally extended westward past NY 36 to NY 408 in the town of Mount Morris when it was first assigned in the early 1930s. By 1983, maintenance of all of NY 258 west of NY 36 had been transferred to Livingston County, leading to the truncation of the route to NY 36 in the mid-1990s.
NY 258 begins at an intersection with NY 36 on the Groveland–West Sparta town line. The route heads eastward down a small hill, which leads to the flat terrain and open fields of the Canaseraga Creek valley that gives NY 258 the name of Flats Road. About 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of NY 36, NY 258 crosses the Dansville and Mount Morris Railroad. East of the railroad crossing, NY 258 veers northeastward off the town line as it approaches the hamlet of Groveland Station. In its final 0.25 miles (0.40 km), the route passes over Canaseraga Creek and climbs slightly in elevation upon entering Groveland Station. NY 258 terminates in the center of the hamlet at a junction with NY 63.
When NY 258 was assigned c. 1931, it extended from NY 63 (now NY 408) in the town of Mount Morris to NY 36A (modern NY 63) in Groveland. In between, NY 258 served the hamlet of Tuscarora and intersected NY 36. NY 245, a parallel route to the south that extended from Pike to the city of Geneva via Dansville, was realigned between the villages of Nunda and Dansville in the late 1940s to overlap NY 408, NY 258, and NY 36 between the two locations. The overlap between NY 245 and NY 258 was eliminated in the late 1950s when NY 245 was restored to its previous, direct alignment between Nunda and Dansville.
On April 1, 1983, ownership and maintenance of NY 258 between Main Street in Tuscarora and NY 36 at Ross Corners was transferred from the state of New York to Livingston County as part of a highway maintenance swap between the two levels of government. NY 258's routing was unchanged; instead, it became concurrent with County Route 72 (CR 72) as a result of the shift in maintenance. It became the second section of NY 258 to be transferred to Livingston County, as the portion from NY 408 near Brooks Grove to Presbyterian Road in Tuscarora had been co-designated as part of CR 3 sometime prior to the swap. The county-maintained western extension of NY 258 remained intact until the mid-1990s when NY 258 was truncated to its junction with NY 36 at Ross Corners.
The entire route is in Livingston County.
|0.00||0.00||NY 36||Hamlet of Ross Corners|
|Groveland||1.85||2.98||NY 63||Hamlet of Groveland Station|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Standard Oil Company of New York (1930). Road Map of New York (Map). Cartography by General Drafting.
- Kendall Refining Company (1931). New York (Map). Cartography by H.M. Gousha Company.
- "2008 Traffic Data Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. June 16, 2009. p. 279. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "overview map of NY 258". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=42.662051&lon=-77.78951&zoom=16&q1=42.661168%2C-77.766679&q2=42.661168%2C-77.803329. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Sinclair Oil Corporation (1947). New York Road Map and Pictorial Sight-Seeing Guide (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- Esso (1949). New York (Map). Cartography by General Drafting (1950 ed.).
- Esso (1958). New York with Special Maps of Putnam–Rockland–Westchester Counties and Finger Lakes Region (Map). Cartography by General Drafting (1958 ed.).
- Gulf Oil Company (1960). New York and New Jersey Tourgide Map (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- New York State Legislature. "New York State Highway Law § 341". Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- New York State Department of Transportation (1984). Sonyea Digital Raster Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/quads/drg24/dotpreview/index.cfm?code=s16. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- Rand McNally and Company (1995). New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. ISBN 0-528-96764-9.
- New York State Department of Transportation (1998). Mount Morris Digital Raster Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/quads/drg24/dotpreview/index.cfm?code=s15. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New York State Route 258.|