New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal 1993
|New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal 1993|
Ribbon of the medal
|Awarded by Queen of New Zealand|
|Eligibility||New Zealand and Commonwealth citizens|
|Awarded for||A recognised contribution to the rights of women in New Zealand, and/or to women's issues in New Zealand|
|Status||Only awarded in 1993|
|Established||1 July 1993|
|Next (higher)||New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal|
|Next (lower)||New Zealand Meritorious Service Medal|
The New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal 1993 was established by Royal Warrant on 1 July 1993. It was created to commemorate Women's suffrage in New Zealand and to recognize those New Zealand and Commonwealth citizens who had made a significant contribution to women's rights or women's issues in New Zealand. The medal was only awarded in 1993.
Women's suffrage in New Zealand was achieved by the passage of the Electoral Act 1893 on 19 September 1893. To commemorate the centennial of that event the medal was created. The medal served to recognize New Zealanders and other Commonwealth citizens who had made a significant or recognisable contribution to the rights of women or to women's issues within New Zealand. The medal was awarded to 546 men and women.
The medal is circular, struck in bronze with an antique finish. The obverse depicts the crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth II. The reverse bears the inscription "1893 The New Zealand Suffrage Centennial 1993". The inscription is wreathed by a fern frond and a sprig of camellia foliage with a single flower. The stems of each are crossed and tied with a bow at the base.
The medal is suspended from a ribbon 32 mm wide. The ribbon is purple with three narrow stripes of white, yellow, and white in the center. When worn by a woman the medal may be suspended by the ribbon shaped into a bow.
- Dorothy Quita Buchanan, a New Zealand composer and teacher.
- Mary Batchelor, a New Zealand politician who was an advocate for women's equality.
- Marilyn Waring, a New Zealand feminist, politician, and professor.
- "The New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal Royal Warrant". NZDF Medals. New Zealand Defence Force. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Other Distinctive New Zealand Honours". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Order of Wear: Orders, Decorations and Medals in New Zealand". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "The New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal 1993". NZDF Medals. New Zealand Defence Force. 18 September 1993. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "NZ composer - Dorothy Buchanan". SOUNZ, the Centre for New Zealand Music. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Marilyn Waring, Professor of Public Policy". Auckland University of Technology. 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2012-06-09.