Newa art is the art form practiced over centuries by Newa people. The pictorial art consists of:
- Wall paintings (murals)
- Paintings on the walls of temples
- Paintings in manuscripts (books)
Paubhas or thangkas were traditionally painted by Chitrakars.
- ^ Macdonald, A.W. and Stahl, Anne Vergati (1979) Newar Art: Nepalese Art during the Malla Period. New Delhi: Vikas Publishing House.
- ^ Shakya, Min Bahadur (2000) Sacred Art of Nepal: Nepalese Paubha Paintings: Past and Present. Kathmandu: Handicraft Association of Nepal.
- ^ Chitrakar, Madan (2000) Tej Bahadur Chitrakar: Icon of a Transition. Kathmandu: Teba-Chi (TBC) Studies Centre. ISBN 99933-879-7-5. Page 17.
- ^ An article about paubha