Newark Liberty International Airport (NJT station)
|Newark Liberty International Airport
New Jersey Transit commuter rail station
Amtrak regional and intercity rail station
AirTrain Newark terminal
|Address||Newark, NJ 07114|
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Owned by||Port Authority of New York and New Jersey|
|Formerly||Newark Airport Station|
|Passengers (2012)||3,314 (average weekday) (NJT)|
|Passengers (2013)||129,565 2.3% (Amtrak)|
Newark Liberty International Airport Station is a railroad station on the Northeast Corridor in Newark, New Jersey. The station provides access to Newark Liberty International Airport via the AirTrain monorail which connects the station to Newark Airport's terminals. There is no bus service, parking facility, or drop-off area at the station.
The station opened on October 21, 2001, and is owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the airport's operator. Because of this, the station has a different design compared to other NJT and Amtrak stations, especially the signage, which is the same signage used throughout the airport. The Port Authority originally intended to name the station "Newark Airport" station but the name was changed to Newark Liberty International Airport Station after the airport's renaming, which honors the victims of the September 11th terrorist attacks and the proximity of the airport to the Statue of Liberty.
Services and Travel Times
Travelers pay a $5.50 fee to enter or exit the track area; the fee is usually included in the price of New Jersey Transit tickets (denoted with ** EWR ** as the origin or destination on such tickets). Monthly pass holders that do not have Newark Airport as the source/destination for their pass will need to pay the $5.50 fee. The fee is waived for children 11 and under. NJ Transit ticket vending machines are available on both the AirTrain side, as well as on the NJ Transit/Amtrak side of the station. Fare gates separate the two sides of the station. Passengers traveling to or from the monorail must pass through the fare gates, which read magnetic stripes on the tickets before allowing passage.
For passengers coming from the airport, there is a staffed ticket counter for Amtrak service. Although there are NJ Transit staff on site, passengers must use ticket vending machines for NJT service.
PATH extension proposal
In September 2012, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced that work would commence on a study to explore extending the Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) system to the station and building a park and ride facility at it.
On February 4, 2014, the Port Authority proposed a 10-year capital plan that included the PATH extension to the station. The Board of Commissioners approved the Capital Plan, including the airport extension, on February 19, 2014.
- Newark - Airport, NJ - EWR (Amtrak; Great American Stations)
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of New Jersey" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Gootman, Elissa (October 22, 2001). "New Train Service To Newark Airport". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- Newark-Liberty International Airport Station (The Subway Nut)
- Wilson, Michael (August 22, 2002). "Governors Seek a Name Change for Newark Airport". The New York Times (NYTimes.com). Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Smothers, Ronald (30 August 2002). "Port Authority Extends Lease of a Renamed Newark Airport". The New York Times (NYTimes.com). Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- Summer 2014 Amtrak Timetable, http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/749/127/Northeast-Regional-1-Schedule-060914.pdf
- NJ Transit, Summer 2014 North Jersey Coast Timetable, http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf
- NJ Transit, Summer 2014 Northeast Corridor Timeable, http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf
- "PORT AUTHORITY TO UNDERTAKE STUDY ON EXTENDING PATH RAIL SERVICE TO NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT" (Press release). PANYNJ. September 20, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Boburg, Shawn (February 4, 2014). "Port Authority plans to extend PATH to Newark airport". The Record. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "PORT AUTHORITY UNVEILS COMPREHENSIVE, PROPOSED $27.6 BILLION CAPITAL PLAN TO REVITALIZE REGION’S TRANSPORTATION ASSETS" (Press release). PANYNJ. February 4, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "PORT AUTHORITY BOARD APPROVES HISTORIC $27.6 BILLION 10-YEAR CAPITAL PLAN THAT FOCUSES THE AGENCY ON ITS CORE TRANSPORTATION MISSION". Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. February 19, 2014.
Media related to Newark Liberty International Airport Station at Wikimedia Commons
- NJT rail station information page for Newark Liberty International Airport
- DepartureVision real time train information for Newark Liberty International Airport