Newark Police Department (New Jersey)
|Newark Police Department|
|Patch of the Newark Police Department.|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||City of Newark in the state of New Jersey, USA|
|Size||26 square miles (67 km2)|
|Headquarters||City of Newark|
|Police Director responsible||Samuel DeMaio|
|Newark Police site|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Newark Police Department is the largest municipal law enforcement agency in New Jersey. The department is headed by the police director Samuel DeMaio. The post of Chief of Police was abolished in 2008, when the job of Chief of Police was to handle day-to-day operations and the Director was to handle policy. However, the position of police chief was reinstated by the City Council in July 2011 and Sheilah Coley was appointed.
In 2011 the size of the police department was reduced by 13%, representing 167 officers, as the result of budget cuts. In November 2013, the NPD re-hired five officers who had been laid-off, and another four who had previously worked in Camden. As of January 2014, the force had 1,006 officers in its ranks. It was announced that month that the city would hire 100 new officers, 50 immediately after they graduate from the policy academy, which begins in March 2014. The new hires are part of larger plan to expand the force to 1400 officers.
The New Jersey Transit Police Department, headquartered in Penn Plaza East, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department, the New Jersey State Police, the Essex County Sheriff's Office, and the Rutgers University Police Department are also within their jurisdiction in the city.
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC Board)
- Detective Division
- Internal Affairs Bureau
- Patrol Division
- Records and Communications Bureau
- Special Operations Bureau
- Taxicab Commission
- Youth and Community Service Bureau
Precincts / Divisions
- 2nd Precinct - North Ward
- 3rd Precinct - Ironbound District
- 4th Precinct - Central Ward
- 5th Precinct - South Ward
- Metro Division
- Special Operations Division
- Administration Bureau
- List of law enforcement agencies in New Jersey
- Garry McCarthy
- Newark Fire Department
- Police v. City of Newark
- Queally, James (May 3, 2011). "Deputy Chief Samuel DeMaio is named Newark's acting police director". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Wulfhorst, Ellen (August 19, 2011). "Newark, New Jersey gets first female police chief". News (Reuters).
- Queally, Jamres (February 9, 2014). "Newark police to be monitored by federal watchdog, sources say". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Alden, William (February 25, 2011). "Newark Police Layoffs Threaten Crime-Fighting As Budget Cuts Spark Fears". Huffngton Post. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- Queally, James (November 11, 2013). "Newark Police bolster ranks, hire nine laid-off police officers". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Queally, James (January 7, 2014). "Newark to hire 100 more cops after deadliest year since 1990". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Queally, James (April 16, 2014). "State Troopers deployed to battle rising Newark crime as part of new initiative". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2014-04-16.