Central Coast & Newcastle Line
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2007)|
|Central Coast & Newcastle line|
|Fleet||V sets and H sets|
The Central Coast & Newcastle Line is an intercity railway line on the NSW TrainLink network connecting New South Wales' two largest cities. It runs from Sydney's Central Station via the Central Coast along an inland route, terminating in the inner suburbs of Newcastle. It is coloured red on a grey background on maps and other promotional material.
Description of route
The route traverse the Main West and Main South railway line routes until Strathfield, where it diverts north and follows the route of the Main North line until Broadmeadow, before diverting east along the route of the Newcastle branch line. to Hamilton The line is electrified at 1500V DC throughout, and is primarily double track, although there with passing loops at Hawkesbury River, Gosford, Wyong, Awaba, and Sulphide Junction (between Cockle Creek and Cardiff). Some services terminate at Gosford and Wyong.
Partial closure of Newcastle Line
The section of the Newcastle railway line between Hamilton and Newcastle was closed on 25 December 2014. Until late 2016, Hamilton forms a temporary terminus while Wickham station is redeveloped as a permanent terminus. The closed section between Wickham and Newcastle is due to be replaced with the Newcastle Light Rail.
Prior to electrification of the route, steam hauled passenger trains were varied and interesting. From November 1929 until April 1988, the Newcastle Flyer operated on the route. After electrification, services were taken over by U and V sets. Later the U sets were replaced by K and G sets which in turn were replaced by H sets.
From the time the line was electrified, services to Gosford were hauled by 46 class locomotives, their sphere of operation increasing as the wires were extended.
The last electric locomotives were withdrawn in March 1998 with all services since hauled by diesel locomotives. Today Aurizon, Pacific National and Southern Shorthaul Railroad all regularly operate freight trains on the line.
|Project||Description||Start date||Completion date|
|North Strathfield underpass||Grade separation for southbound freight trains heading to Flemington||2013||estimated late-2015|
|Epping to Pennant Hills third track||Third track for northbound trains climbing 1 in 40 grades||2013||estimated mid-2016|
|Gosford passing loops||One passing loop in each direction to allow fast trains to overtake slower trains||2013||estimated mid-2015|
A new station is proposed for Warnervale. The draft Central Coast Transportation Strategy states that construction of the new railway station will be completed by 2016. In October 2014 there were some differences between Wyong Council and the State Government over how a strategic piece of land should be developed at Warnervale.
- A new station is proposed for Glendale. The Lake Macquarie City Council has requested that consideration be given to the need for a train station at in the long term.
|Name||Code||Railway line||Serving town/suburbs||Connections|
|Central - Newcastle|
|Central||SYD||Main Suburban||Central, Strawberry Hills, Ultimo, Surry Hills||■ South Coast Line
■ Blue Mountains Line
■ Southern Highlands Line*
*peak hours only
(peak hours only)
|RDF||Main Suburban||Redfern, Waterloo, Darlington
The University of Sydney
|■ South Coast Line*
■ Blue Mountains Line*
*peak hours only
|Strathfield||SFD||Main Suburban||Strathfield, Burwood||■ Blue Mountains Line
|Eastwood||EAW||Main Northern||Eastwood, Marsfield||Sydney Trains|
|Epping||EPG||Main Northern||Epping, North Epping||Sydney Trains|
|Hornsby||HBY||Main Northern||Hornsby, Waitara||Sydney Trains
(limited service only)
|ASQ||Main Northern||Asquith||Sydney Trains|
|Berowra||BEW||Main Northern||Berowra, Berowra Heights||Sydney Trains|
|Hawkesbury River||HKR||Main Northern||Brooklyn|
|Woy Woy||WOY||Main Northern||Woy Woy|
|Point Clare||PCL||Main Northern||Point Clare|
|Gosford||GOS||Main Northern||Gosford||Regional trains|
|Niagara Park||NIA||Main Northern||Niagara Park|
|Warnervale||WNV||Main Northern||Warnervale, Woongarrah, Hamlyn Terrace|
|Dora Creek||DRK||Main Northern||Dora Creek, Myuna Bay, Eraring|
|Fassifern||FSN||Main Northern||Fassifern, Blackalls Park, Fennell Bay||Fassifern to Toronto Bus Service|
|Booragul||BGL||Main Northern||Booragul, Marmong Point|
|Cockle Creek||CKK||Main Northern||Cockle Creek|
|Cardiff||CDF||Main Northern||Cardiff, Cardiff Heights, Glendale|
|Kotara||KRZ||Main Northern||Kotara, Kotara South|
|Adamstown||ADT||Main Northern||Adamstown, New Lambton|
|Broadmeadow||BMD||Main Northern||Broadmeadow||Regional trains|
|Hamilton||HMN||Newcastle||Hamilton, Islington||■ Hunter Line|
Trains depart Central every 30 minutes, alternating between the following stopping patterns:
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford, Tuggerah, Wyong, Morrisset, Fassifern, Cardiff, Broadmeadow and Hamilton (every 60 minutes)
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, Berowra, then all stations to Gosford, then all stations to Broadmeadow and then Hamilton (every 60 minutes)
Peak Hours Sydney Terminal / Central (i) services (same during AM and PM Peaks)
- Central, Redfern (pickup/setdown), Strathfield, Epping, Hornsby, Berowra and then all stations to Gosford (every 30 minutes)
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood (pickup/set down), Epping (pickup/set down), Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford, Tuggerah, Wyong, Morriset, Fassifern, Cardiff, Broadmeadow and Hamilton (every 30 minutes)
Central Platform 18 Services (AM Peak):
- Wyong, then all stations to Gosford, then Woy Woy, Berowra, Asquith, Hornsby, Gordon, Chatswood, then all stations to Milsons Point, then Wynyard, Town Hall, Central, Redfern, Burwood, Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Westmead, Seven Hills, Blacktown and then all stations to Emu Plains (every 30 minutes) #
- Gosford, then Woy Woy, Berowra, Asquith, Hornsby, Gordon, Chatswood, then all stations to Milsons Point, then Wymyard, Town Hall, Central, Redfern (every 30 minutes) then..:
-Burwood, Strathfield, Lidcombe, Parramatta, Blacktown, Mount Druitt, St Marys, Penrith and Emu Plains (one service only, departing Central at 8:07am) -Burwood, Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Westmead, Seven Hills, Blacktown, Mount Druitt and St Marys (one service, departing Central at 8:37am) -Burwood, Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Westmead, Seven Hills, Blacktown, Mount Druitt, St Marys and Penrith (one service, departing Central at 9:07am)
- one service, departing Central at 7:52am, operates to Springwood, stopping at Redfern, Strathfield, Lidcombe, Granville, Parramatta, Blacktown, Penrith and then all stations to Springwood.
Central Platform 16 Services (PM Peak):
- Emu Plains, all stations to Blacktown, Parramatta, Strathfield, Redfern, Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Point, North Sydney, then all stations to Chatswood, then Lindfield, Gordon, Hornsby, Asquith, Berowra, Woy Woy, Gosford and then all stations to Wyong (every 30 minutes)
- Blacktown, Parramatta, Strathfield, Redfern, Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Point, North Sydney, then all stations to Chatswood, then Lindfield, Gordon, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford and then all stations to Hamilton (one service only, departing Central at 4:59pm)
- Blacktown, Parramatta, Strathfield, Redfern, Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Point, North Sydney, then all stations to Chatswood, then Lindfield, Gordon, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford and then all stations to Wyong (one service only, departing Central at 5:29pm)
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, Berowra and then all stations to Wyong (every 60 minutes)
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gisford, Tuggerah, Wyong, Wyee, Morriset, Fassifern, Cardiff, Broadmeadow and Hamilton (every 120 minutes}
- Central, Strathfield, Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford, Tuggerah, Wyong and then all stations to Hamilton (every 120 minutes)
- Main Northern Line- for details of history and construction.
- Newcastle Branch line- for the branch line between Broadmeadow and Newcastle.
- Woy Woy Tunnel.
- Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge.
- Upcoming transport changes in Newcastle Transport Info NSW 8 December 2014
- Some Steam Trains of New South Wales in Retrospect: Trains to Newcastle and the Short North, Covell, Charles Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, October 2000 pp369-386
- "Electric Locos" Railway Digest June 1998 page 35
- Railway Sign Official Opening Gosford - Wyong Electrification 3 April 1982 Powerhouse Museum Collection
- "The Official Opening of Newcastle Rail Electrification" Railway Digest July 1984 page 218
- Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Locked In Minister for Infrastructure & Transport 7 December 2011
- "Sydney’s mega rail upgrade gets green light". The Construction Index. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Industry Briefing Transport for NSW 24 January 2012
- A new Central Coast Regional Growth and Infrastructure Plan New South Wales Planning & Environment retrieved 27 December 2014
- Warnervale Town Centre Development Control Plan 2012 New South Wales Planning & Environment
- Warnervale Town Centre Wyong Shire Council 19 February 2014
- NSW Government and Wyong Council in row over plans for key Warnervale land Daily Telegraph
- Lake Macquarie Transport Interchange (LMTI) Lake Macquarie City Council retrieved 27 December 2014
- The Short North, Singleton C.C. Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, May et seq, 1965