Newell Smith Wallbank
Newell Smith Wallbank (26 April 1875 - 23 June 1945) was a composer and organist based in Wakefield.
He was born in Oakworth, Yorkshire, the son of William Wallbank.
He married Alice Mary Batt, daughter of Albert Batt, on 14 Mar 1913 at St. George's Church, Leeds, and they had one son, Newell Eddius Wallbank (1914 - 1996)
He studied organ as an articled pupil of E.J. Crow at Ripon Cathedral.
- Organist at All Souls, Blackman Lane, Leeds until 1911
- Organist at Hexham Abbey 1911 - 1917
- Organist at St. Margaret's Church, Alttingham 1917 - 1918
- Organist at Hexham Abbey 1918 - 1926
- Organist at Lancaster Priory 1926 - 1928
- Organist at St. Mary's Church, Scarborough 1928 - 1930
- Organist at Wakefield Cathedral 1930 - 1945
He composed many works including
- Six Choral Preludes for the Organ
- Concerto Grosso for String Orchestra
- Partita in E for String Orchestra
- Dictionary of organs and organists.Second edition. London: Geo. Aug. Mate, 1921