Newfield High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)|
|Newfield High School|
|145 Marshall Drive
Selden, New York, United States
|School district||Middle Country|
|Asst. Principal||Jennifer Harrison
|Color(s)||Red & White|
|Accreditation(s)||State of New York|
Newfield High School is a public high school in Selden, New York, which is located in Suffolk County, Long Island in the United States. It is located 1 mile north of Middle Country Road (Route 25) on Marshall Drive.
History and Overview
As suburban growth spread into central Suffolk county in the 1950s, the new Middle Country Central School District was created in 1957 from the merger of the Selden and Centereach school districts. Newfield opened in 1959 to serve the growing population, as neither district had ever had a high school. Prior to its opening, upper level students had been sent to Port Jefferson High School.
Newfield's name is derived from the former names of both Centereach (which adjoins Selden and is part of the same school district) and Selden; New Village and Westfield.
It has always served as secondary school, currently educating students from the 9th through 12th grade. In the past, students from the 9th grade were educated at Selden Junior High School, and this changed when the Junior High formally became Selden Middle School and the 9th grade was passed on to Newfield.
According to 2007 data, 98.7% of Newfield graduates earn a New York State Regent's diploma. 50.8 percent graduates plan to attend 4 year college, and 42.2% plan to attend a 2 year college., such as nearby Suffolk County Community College.
In recent years,[vague] the school's science program has been adjusted to include a research organization that encourages students to participate in programs at nearby Stony Brook University. Newfield has recently had several participants in the nationwide Intel Science Talent Search.
Newfield fields a number of varsity and junior varsity athletic teams, in Section 11, Division 2 of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association, including Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball (Girls), and Wrestling.
Although team uniforms use the school's red and white colors, in the late 1990s, varsity teams began using black as a third color to distinguish from junior varsity.
Music and Drama
Music. Newfield houses a music and theater education department. In 2006, the Music Department had its annual Music In the Parks trip; receiving three first place awards in Band, Orchestra, Chorus, and Jazz Ensembles, as well as two Superior ratings. The Music department also participated and hosted the NYSSMA Major Ensemble Festival receiving bronze, silver, gold and Gold With Distinction.
Drama. The Newfield High School drama department is one of the top 45 in public schools of Long Island, New York. Most recently, Newfield High School had garnered sixteen nominations and nine wins at the 1st Annual GPJNB Arts Council's 2008 Teeny Awards, more than any other high school involved in the program.
- Brian Beedenbender (1998), Suffolk County Legislator, District 4, elected 2007.
- Rob Burnett (1986), Former NFL Football Player, member of 2000 Super Bowl Winning Baltimore Ravens
- Linda Cohn (1977), ESPN Sportscenter Anchor
- Edward Donofrio (1969), Member of US Olympic fencing team, and 1976 US National Men's Foil Champion
- Doug Drexler (1971), Illustrator, visual effects artist, and makeup artist, won Academy Award for best makeup for 1990's Dick Tracy, and two Emmys for VFX on Battlestar Galactica.
- Tom Leykis, (1973), Radio personality and "shock jock"
- Zack Ryder (2003), WWE wrestler
- "Rural Selden Putting on a New Face". Newsday. May 24, 1998.
- "Newsday: High School Graduates". Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Suffolk County Legislature, District Office 4". Retrieved 2009-05-29.[dead link]
- Rob Burnett NFL stats
- Edward Donofrio, 1976 foil champion, Museum of Fencing.com