Newland Head Conservation Park
|Newland Head Conservation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Victor Harbour|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment and Natural Resources|
|Official site||Newland Head Conservation Park|
Newland Head Conservation Park is a protected area located on the southern coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula 91 km south of Adelaide, and 7 km southwest of Victor Harbor, in the state of South Australia, Australia. Its name is taken from the rugged headlands that feature prominently at the eastern boundary of the park.
The park features two long beaches, Waitpinga and Parsons; high energy beaches that are popular with surfers and fishers, but are not suitable for swimming due to strong rips and hidden gutters.
The park features several walking trails, including part of the famous Heysen Trail.
The Waitpinga campground is the only campground available in the park. It is situated 750 metres inland from Waitpinga Beach, sheltered from the sea breeze by large sand dunes (a good thing given that the Aboriginal meaning of Waitpinga is "Windy Place"). The campground features reasonably private individual sites surrounded by native vegetation including pink gums and wattle. Facilities include limited tank water, toilets, picnic areas and a communal barbecue area (including gas barbecues). Wood fires are not permitted at any time; gas or fuel stoves may be used. Camping fees apply.
A walking trail that traverses the sand dunes, and affords panoramic views of the Southern Ocean coastline, connects the campground and the beach. Other walking trails begin at the eastern end of the campground.
Refer to the official Parks SA site for more information.
Several walking trails start from the eastern end of the Waitpinga campground. The following information is based on the Parks SA information sign displayed at the trail head.
- Ridgeway Hill Loop Hike. Flat trail crossing open mallee then through dense flowering understorey. A variety of birds can be seen in spring. Distance: 6.25 km return.
- Coastal Cliffs Loop Hike. Flat trail to the cliffs of Newland Head. Affords spectacular views of the Newland Head cliffs, the Southern Ocean and Kangaroo Island. Distance: 7.5 km return.
- Campground to Beach Hike. Distance: 750m.
- Heysen Trail. Distance: 12.25 km (within the park).
A lookout is located atop a large water tank 500 metres along the walking trail, east of the campground.
- "About Newland Head Conservation Park". Friends of Newland Head Conservation Park. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Newland Head Conservation Park". Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Retrieved 6 April 2012.