Type of site
|Owner||Cordell Media Pty Ltd|
|126,767 (November 2014[update])|
newmatilda.com, commonly known as New Matilda, is a left-wing independent Australian website of news, analysis and satire.
The website was established by John Menadue in August 2004. It is now registered in the name of Cordell Media Pty Ltd, a company which is not aligned with any political party. In May 2007, the policy section of newmatilda.com separated to become the Centre for Policy Development, a left-wing think tank.
On 27 May 2010, editor Marni Cordell announced that the publication would cease on 25 June, due to financial support drying up. On 8 Oct 2010, Cordell announced that newmatilda.com would be returning as a reader supported site. The site raised more than $150,000 in a six-week fundraising campaign and is now back up and running and publishing daily.
In May 2014, Cordell announced her resignation and painted an uncertain future for New Matilda. Since then it has continued publishing under its new editor Chris Graham, an investigative journalist and former editor of the National Indigenous Times.
The website publishes around 20 articles per week covering Australian politics, business, consumerism, civil society, international affairs, media and culture. Including editorials, a total of 288 articles were published in 2004, 660 articles in 2005, 636 articles in 2006, 631 articles in 2007, 755 articles in 2008 and 736 articles in 2009.
The first competition ran for three months, from July through to September 2008. The winner was Sarah Parsons, who received first prize of $6,000. The second competition opened in April 2009 and the winner was Sydney-based Fiona Katauskas. The finalists' entries were displayed at the Tap Gallery in Darlinghurst.
The website publishes articles from over 1,000 international and Australian writers. Regular contributors include:
- Andrew Bartlett
- Ben Eltham
- Robert Fisk
- Wendy Bacon
- Bruce Haigh
- Clive Hamilton
- Antony Loewenstein
- John Martinkus
- Jennifer Mills
- John Pilger
- Ben Pobjie
- Helen Razer
- Stuart Rees
- Lee Rhiannon
- Graham Ring
- Guy Rundle
- Alicia Sometimes
- Tim Soutphommasane
- Marcus Westbury
- Katherine Wilson
- Irfan Yusuf
- Mohamad Tabbaa (writer)
- "Newmatilda.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- "FAQ". Newmatilda.com. Archived from the original on 31 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- Cordell, Marni. "Curtains For Newmatilda.com". Newmatilda.com. Archived from the original on 31 May 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Cordell, Marni. "Miss Us? New Matilda Is On The Way Back!". Newmatilda.com. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- "Independent news website New Matilda receives takeover offers". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Chris Graham to take over New Matilda". Mumbrella. Retrieved 15 Oct 2014.
- "About Us". Newmatilda.com. Archived from the original on 31 May 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "tag: bill leak: page 10". Archived from the original on 31 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- "Writers". Newmatilda.com. Archived from the original on 31 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- Borghino, José (2006-08-26). Happy 2nd Birthday New Matilda . New Matilda
- Devine, Miranda (2007-10-11). Whose human rights come first? . SMH Online
- Editorial: Reality bites the psychotic Left,  The Australian
- Henderson, Gerard. (2006-03-07 Haters are their own worst enemy . SMH Online.
- Henderson, Gerard. (2006–09)
- Hyperbole in need of a control order . SMH Online
- Menadue, John (2005-06-23).Truth & the Media . Paper to NSW Industrial Relations Society 23 June 2005
- Menadue, John (2004-08-24).Policies and Participation . New Matilda
- Stephens, Tony (2004-05-27). Time to speak up: political animal says on-line newsletter will offer new voice . SMH Online.
- Stephens, Tony (2005-08-29). Dear Mr. Howard, Australia needs a Human Rights Act . SMH Online