Newport Central Catholic High School
|Newport Central Catholic High School|
To succeed you must believe, and we believe.
|13 Carothers Road
Newport, Kentucky, (Campbell County), 41071
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founded||1896 (Newport Catholic)
1903 (Our Lady of Providence)
1983 (Newport Central Catholic)
|Oversight||Diocese of Covington|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue & Gold|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Athletic Director||Rob Detzel|
Newport Central Catholic High School (NCC) is a coeducational private secondary school in Newport, Kentucky and part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington. It is located in the center of Newport overlooking the Cincinnati skyline and Ohio Valley. The school is housed in a building opened in 1955 for the all-boys Newport Catholic High School, which was founded in 1929 as the effective successor to another all-boys high school established in 1896. Today's Newport Central Catholic was founded in 1983 when Newport Catholic High merged with the all-girls Our Lady of Providence Academy, which had been founded as the Academy of Notre Dame de Providence in 1903. it serves students in grades 9-12 in the Northern Kentucky area, mostly from Campbell County. The mascot is the Thoroughbred, and the school colors are royal blue and gold. NCC is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA).
This list includes alumni of Newport Central Catholic, the original Newport Catholic, and Our Lady of Providence.
- Dave Cowens, Boston Celtics basketball player and NBA MVP, 1973 - Named One of the Top Fifty Players of all time - Named to the NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996), In 1990, he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. — Newport Catholic, 1966
- Larry Staverman, NBA basketball player with the Cincinnati Royals, Chicago Zephyrs/Baltimore Bullets, Detroit Pistons — Newport Catholic
- Frank Jacobs, Kentucky "Mr. Football" Award winner, 1986, Notre Dame football and baseball player — last player to score a touchdown for Notre Dame in a National Championship game. Holds Notre Dame Record for most home runs (season). Newport Central Catholic, 1987
- Tricia Macke, TV anchor, WXIX-TV (Cincinnati) - Newport Central Catholic, 1987
- "2013–2014 Audited School Enrollments (in alphabetic order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Newport Central Catholic High School Directory Entry - (# 200)". KHSAA School Directory. Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]
- "The School on the Hill: A Brief History". Newport Central Catholic High School. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "History". Greater Catholic League. 2006-06-14. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Ernst, Ryan (2005-08-18). "Mr. NewCath" (PDF). The Cincinnati Enquirer. Gannett Company. p. S7. Retrieved 2010-09-13.