Newport Township, Washington County, Ohio
|Newport Township, Washington County, Ohio|
The Hildreth Bridge, a township landmark
Municipalities and townships of Washington County.
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||994 ft (303 m)|
|• Density||61.2/sq mi (23.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087141|
Located in the southeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Lawrence Township - north
- Independence Township - northeast
- Marietta Township - west
- Fearing Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Newport Township statewide.
In 1833, Newport Township contained a meeting house, several brick school houses, two dry goods stores, and a flour mill.
The Hildreth Covered Bridge in Newport Township is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Washington County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 344. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.