Newspapers in Australia
There are 2 national and 10 state/territory daily newspapers, 35 regional dailies and 470 other regional and suburban newspapers in Australia. All major metropolitan newspapers are owned either by News Limited, a subsidiary of News Corporation, or Fairfax Media, except The West Australian.
There are two national daily newspapers, The Australian and The Australian Financial Review. Other notable newspapers are The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Telegraph, The Age, and The Herald Sun (Melbourne).
Australia's earliest newspaper, the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, was first printed in 1803. In 1810 the second newspaper in Australia, the Derwent Star and Van Diemen's Land Intelligencer was founded in Van Diemen's Land, but ceased the same year. Victoria's first paper was the Melbourne Advertiser in 1838. By the mid-1850s, there were 11 papers in Tasmania. The Tasmanian and Port Dalrymple Advertiser founded in Launceston in 1825 was the first provincial newspaper in Australia.
Australia's longest running newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald, was first published as the Sydney Herald in 1831. The Herald's rival, the Daily Telegraph, was first published in July 1879. Weekly newspapers were an important feature of the Australian newspaper scene in the nineteenth century.
Australia's first national daily newspaper, Daily Commercial News (now Lloyd's List Australia) was first published in April 1891. Only during the second part of the twentieth century did other national newspapers start to be published.
Australia's first foreign language newspaper, Die Deutsche Post für die australischen Kolonien was published in Adelaide in 1848.
During the 1980s and 1990s colour printing and cold offset printing took place in the production of newspapers. Many newspapers became available in electronic form either on CD-ROM or via the World Wide Web.
- National Library of Australia - "History of Australian Newspapers"
- National Library of Australia - "Select chronology of significant Australian press events to 2005"
- National Library of Australia - "Select chronology of significant Australian press events from 1802 - 1850"
- Womersley, Judith. AussieData: From Prehistory to the Present. Wakefield Press. ISBN 978-1-86254-545-8.
- "Select chronology of significant Australian press events from 1802 - 1850". National Library of Australia. 10 September 2006. Retrieved 9 11 2008.
- Isaacs, V.; Kirkpatrick, R. (2003). Two Hundred Years of Sydney Newspapers: A Short History (pdf). New South Wales: Rural Press Ltd.
- Daily commercial news and shipping list, National Library of Australia Trove.
- Isaacs, V.; Kirkpatrick, R. (2003). Two Hundred Years of Sydney Newspapers: A Short History. New South Wales: Rural Press Ltd.