Newspapers of New England
|Headquarters||Concord, New Hampshire|
|Key people||Aaron Julien, president and CEO|
|Products||Concord Monitor and six other newspapers in New England|
The company was founded in the late 1970s as a holding company for various properties owned by the Dwight family, longtime publishers of the (now defunct) Holyoke Transcript-Telegram. Under the leadership of publisher Minnie Dwight and her son, William, the T-T in 1955 bought The Recorder-Gazette of Greenfield, Massachusetts. Minnie died two years later, and William bought the Monitor in 1961.
When son-in-law George W. Wilson, publisher of the Monitor, was named company president in the late 1970s, the T-T, Recorder and Monitor were placed under the umbrella of Newspapers of New England. The company added the Valley News of Lebanon, New Hampshire, in 1981.
In the 1980s, NNE added the weekly Monadnock Ledger to its portfolio, but soon had to shed its original flagship: In 1992, the 110-year-old Transcript-Telegram was closed after four years of heavy losses.
In December 2007, the company announced it would buy one of the Gazette's main competitors, the alternative weekly Valley Advocate of Easthampton, which had been founded in 1973. The Advocate was owned by Tribune Company, which also publishes the Hartford Courant and Advocate weeklies in Connecticut. Advocate circulation at the time was given at 50,000. Actual circulation is 45,000.
The following daily and weekly newspapers are published by Newspapers of New England:
- Amherst Bulletin of Amherst, Massachusetts (weekly)
- Concord Monitor of Concord, New Hampshire
- Daily Hampshire Gazette of Northampton, Massachusetts
- Monadnock Ledger-Transcript of Peterborough, New Hampshire (twice-weekly)
- The Recorder of Greenfield, Massachusetts
- The Summit of Easthampton, Massachusetts (weekly)
- Valley Advocate of Easthampton, Massachusetts (weekly)
- Valley News of Lebanon, New Hampshire
- "William Dwight, 92, Holyoke publisher". Obituary. Union-News, Springfield, Mass., June 5, 1996.
- Constantine, Sandra E. "Transcript-Telegram Ceases Publication". Union-News, Springfield, Mass., April 24, 1993.
- Contrada, Fred. "'Hamp Gazette Sale Set". The Republican, Springfield, Mass. September 28, 2005.
- Cain, Chad. "Gazette's Owners Set to Buy Valley Advocate". Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, Mass.), December 12, 2007.