Newton Game Dynamics
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2011)|
|Original author(s)||Julio Jerez & Alain Suero|
|Stable release||2.36 / June 14, 2012|
|Preview release||3.05 / April 23, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X, iPhone OS, Linux|
|Website||Newton Game Dynamics Homepage|
Newton Game Dynamics is an open source physics engine for realistically simulating rigid bodies in games and other real-time applications. Its solver is deterministic and not based on traditional LCP or iterative methods.
The Newton Game Dynamics SDK license allows developers to freely incorporate the engine into personal projects or commercial products so long as credit is given and the engine is distributed solely as part of a compiled software program that is itself not a physics engine. Newton Game Dynamics is actively developed by Julio Jerez. Currently a new version which will take advantage of multi-core CPUs and GPUs is being developed.
Games that used Newton
This is a select list of games using Newton Game Dynamics.
- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- b4n92uid theBall
- City Bus Simulator
- Future Pinball – a 3D pinball editing and gaming application
- Mount & Blade
- Nicktoons Winners Cup Racing
- Overclocked: A History of Violence
- Penumbra: Overture
- Penumbra: Black Plague
- Penumbra: Requiem
- Steam Brigade
Engines which incorporated Newton
A list of game engines using Newton Game Dynamics:
- HPL Engine
- Leadwerks Engine
- NoxetEngine (Work in progress)
- Mango Game Engine
- Newton Game Dynamics at Google Code
- Jerez, Julio (February 15, 2011). "The Newton engine is now open source with a zlib license.". Retrieved March 16, 2015.