|Born||British Hong Kong|
Institute for Defense Analyses
National University of Singapore
The Walt Disney Company
|Alma mater||Virginia Tech
Newton Lee is adjunct professor of Media Technology at Woodbury University School of Media, Culture & Design. and curator of SpringerBriefs in Computer Science and Springer International Series on Applications and Trends in Computer Science. Previously, he was digital media manager for Finding Noah: The Search for Noah's Ark, chief executive officer of Hollywood Lab and director of internship at the National University of Singapore, senior producer and lead engineer at The Walt Disney Company, research scientist at VTLS where he created the world's first annotated multimedia OPAC for the U.S. National Agricultural Library, computer science and artificial intelligence researcher at AT&T Bell Laboratories where he created Bell Labs' first-ever commercial AI tool, and research staff member at the Institute for Defense Analyses conducting military-standard Ada research for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and AI research for a multi-agency counterterrorism project involving the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), National Security Agency (NSA), and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Newton Lee is the founding president of the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Institute for Education, Research, and Scholarships (IFERS). He is the founder and editor-in-chief of the nonprofit Computers in Entertainment (CIE) magazine published by the Association for Computing Machinery. He has interviewed Who's Who including Roy E. Disney. Quincy Jones, and George Lucas. Previously, he was the founding president of the Los Angeles chapter of the Virginia Tech Alumni Association.
Awards and honors
Newton Lee was the juror for the first-ever 2003 Advanced Media Technology Emmy Awards. He has been honored with a Michigan Leading Edge Technologies Award, two community development awards from the California Junior Chamber of Commerce, and four volunteer project leadership awards from The Walt Disney Company.
Digital Da Vinci Series
- Computers in the Arts and Sciences (ed.) (Springer, August 2014) (with contributing coauthors Dennis Anderson, Keith Armstrong, Stephen Barrass, Nathan Cohen, Ben Cowley, Roman Danylak, Raffaella Folgieri, Marco Granato, Daniele Grechi, Claudio Lucchiari, Robert Niewiadomski, Mine Özkar, Gavin Sade, Diomidis Spinellis, and Mari Velonaki) ISBN 978-1-4939-0964-3
- Computers in Music (ed.) (Springer, April 2014) (with contributing coauthors Stephen Barrass, Tim Barrass, Juan Pablo Bello, Mattia G. Bergomi, Simone Castellani, Kai Ton Chau, Elaine Chew, Shlomo Dubnov, Alexandre R. J. Francois, M. Nyssim Lefford, Anton Nijholt, Mustafa Radha, Dennis Reidsma, Isaac Schankler, and Greg Surges) ISBN 978-1-4939-0535-5
Getting to Digital Series
- Disney Stories: Getting to Digital (Springer, April 2012) (with coauthor Krystina Madej) ISBN 978-1-4614-2100-9
Total Information Awareness Series
- Counterterrorism and Cybersecurity: Total Information Awareness (Springer, April 2013) ISBN 978-1-4614-7204-9
- Facebook Nation: Total Information Awareness (Springer, September 2012) ISBN 978-1-4614-5307-9
- Facebook Nation: Total Information Awareness (Second Edition) (with contributing coauthors Alex Houg, Emily Temple-Wood, and Dennis Yu) (Springer, October 2014) ISBN 978-1-4939-1739-6
- Machine Learning and Uncertain Reasoning (Academic Press, February 1990) (chapter author pp. 421-448) ISBN 0-12-273252-9
- "Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science".
- "Woodbury University Media Technology".
- "SpringerBriefs in Computer Science".
- "Publishing Books = KWH (Knowledge Worth Hatching)".
- "Finding Noah: The Search for Noah's Ark (17K ASL)".
- "NUS Enterprise".
- Lee, Newton (2012). Disney Stories: Getting to Digital. Springer Science+Business Media.
- "InfoStation: A multimedia access system for library automation. The Electronic Library (1990) 8, 415-421.".
- "Programming with P-Shell".
- Military Standard Common APSE (Ada Programming Support Environment) Interface Set (CAIS).
- Lee, Newton (2013). Counterterrorism and Cybersecurity: Total Information Awareness. Springer Science+Business Media.
- "Institute for Education, Research, and Scholarships (IFERS)".
- "Quincy Jones spoke at the AFI on behalf of ACM CIE and IFERS (November 4, 2006)".
- "ACM Computers in Entertainment (CIE)". Association for Computing Machinery.
- "ACM Press Release (December 8, 2003)".
- "Interview with Roy E. Disney".
- "Interview with Quincy Jones".
- "Interview with George Lucas"..
- "Virginia Tech Magazine".
- Lee, Newton (2014). Digital Da Vinci: Computers in the Arts and Sciences. Springer Science+Business Media.
- Lee, Newton (2014). Digital Da Vinci: Computers in Music. Springer Science+Business Media.
- Lee, Newton (2012). Facebook Nation: Total Information Awareness. Springer Science+Business Media.
- Lee, Newton (2014). Facebook Nation: Total Information Awareness (2nd Edition). Springer Science+Business Media.
- Machine learning and uncertain reasoning (Academic Press, February 1990), ISBN 0-12-273252-9.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Newton Lee|