Newtown Battlefield State Park
|Location:||451 Oneida Road, Elmira, New York|
|Added to NRHP:||28 November 1972|
|Designated NHL:||28 November 28, 1972|
Newtown Battlefield State Park, formerly known as Newtown Battlefield Reservation, was the site of the Battle of Newtown fought in August 1779, during the American Revolutionary War. It was the only major battle of the Sullivan Expedition, an armed offensive led by General John Sullivan that was ordered by the Continental Congress to end the threat of the Iroquois who had sided with the British in the American Revolutionary War. In the battle, the Iroquois were defeated decisively.
Because the present day battlefield is quite heavily wooded and obscured to the casual passerby on the highway below, a narrow column of white granite known as the Newton Battlefield Monument sits atop the hill where this historic battle once took place in Elmira, in Chemung County, New York. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Newtown Battlefield". National Historic Landmarks Program. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- Snell, Charles W. (19 May 1972). National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Newtown Battlefield Reservation. National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
"Accompanying 3 photos, from 1971" (pdf). National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Shorenstein, Marissa (19 February 2010). "Statements from Governor David A. Paterson and Commissioner Carol Ash on Parks Budget Cuts" (Press release). NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Newtown Battlefield State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation.
|This article , about a historic property or district in Chemung County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|