Next Libyan general election
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
General elections are scheduled to be held in Libya six months after a new constitution comes into force, if the constitution is approved by referendum. A General National Congress was elected in July 2012, with the original responsibility of forming a constituent assembly to write the constitution; however, the National Transitional Council decided that Libyans will instead directly elect the constituent assembly. The General National Congress came to agreement on 10 April 2013 that constituent assembly members will be elected. The election for the constituent assembly will take place on 20 February 2014. The next elected congress is expected to take power on 24 December 2014. A general election will take place in June of 2014 if it is determined in May that the congress will not have a draft constitution ready by July; it is possible that the election will take place earlier.
- "Muammar Gaddafi's death: NTC commander speaks". BBC. 22 October 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "NTC takes responsibility for constitution from National Conference". Libya Herald. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "The Constitutional Commission will be elected and the political isolation law is constitutional, rules Congress". Libya Herald. 11 April 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Libyans to elect constitutional commission on Feb 20". AFP. 30 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "GNC votes to extend its life another year". Libya Herald. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "February Committee formed to draft rules for possible June elections". Libya Herald. 12 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Rows in Congress as early elections are predicted by February Committee". Libya Herald. 16 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.