Nez Perce National Forest
|Nez Perce National Forest|
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
Crooked Creek in Gospel Hump Wilderness
|Location||Idaho County, Idaho, USA|
|Nearest city||Grangeville, Idaho|
|Area||2,224,091 acres (9,000.58 km2)|
|Established||July 1, 1908|
|Governing body||U.S. Forest Service|
The Nez Perce National Forest with headquarters on the Nez Perce Reservation at Kamiah is located in Idaho County in central western Idaho in the northwestern United States. The forest is bounded on the east by the state of Montana, on the north by the Palouse region, and on the south and west by the Clearwater National Forest. It has a total area of 2,224,091 acres (3,475.14 sq mi or 9,000.58 km2). Forest headquarters are located in Kamiah, Idaho. There are local ranger district offices in Elk City, Grangeville, Kooskia, and White Bird. It is the largest of the six National Forests that are contained entirely within a single county.
Nez Perce was established on July 1, 1908 by the U.S. Forest Service with 1,946,340 acres (7,876.6 km2) from parts of Bitter Root National Forest and Weiser National Forest. On October 29, 1934 part of Selway National Forest was added.
There are four officially designated wilderness areas within Nez Perce National Forest that are part of the National Wilderness Preservation System. Three of these are partly or mostly in neighboring National Forests (as indicated).
- Frank Church—River of No Return Wilderness (only 4.68% lies within Nez Perce NF; mostly in either Payette NF, Challis NF, Salmon NF, Boise NF, or Bitterroot NF)
- Gospel Hump Wilderness
- Hells Canyon Wilderness (mostly in Wallowa NF; partly in Payette NF, Whitman NF, or BLM land)
- Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness (partly in Bitterroot NF; Clearwater NF; Lolo NF)
- Table 6 - NFS Acreage by State, Congressional District and County - United States Forest Service - September 30, 2007
- USFS Ranger Districts by State
- Davis, Richard C. (September 29, 2005), National Forests of the United States (PDF), The Forest History Society
- Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness acreage breakdown, Wilderness.net
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nez Perce National Forest.|
|This article related to a protected area in Idaho is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|