|Traded as||NYSE: NI
S&P 500 Component
Dow Jones Utility Average component
|Robert C. Skaggs, Jr., CEO|
|Products||Natural gas, electricity|
|Revenue||7.49 billion USD (2006)|
Number of employees
NiSource, Inc., based in Merrillville, Indiana, is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers located within the high-demand energy corridor stretching from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England.
NiSource companies include:
- NIPSCO, "Northern Indiana Public Service Company" (Indiana)
- Columbia Gas of Massachusetts (Previously Bay State Gas)
- Columbia Gas (Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia) (acquired in 2000)
- Columbia Gas Transmission
- Energy USA TPC
- NiSource Gas Transmission & Storage
- A pipeline, compression and storage network spanning three states. Major customers include Washington Gas, Columbia Gas of Virginia, the City of Charlottesville, Virginia, and Easton Utilities. Part of the gas distribution division. On January 16, 2008, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission authorized an expansion of the network to serve markets in the Mid-Atlantic region.
In December 2011, the non-partisan organization Public Campaign criticized NiSource for spending $1.83 million on lobbying and not paying any taxes during 2008-2010, instead getting $227 million in tax rebates, despite making a profit of $1.4 billion, and increasing executive pay by 33% to $11.2 million in 2010 for its top 5 executives.
In May 2014, NiSource withdrew an offer of employment to a new hire because this candidate had been home educated. In response to criticism, NiSource stated: "NiSource is happy to hire qualified home-schooled candidates as part of our team. In fact, among our 8,000+ current employees, we are proud to have colleagues and coworkers who were home-schooled or received other non-traditional educations. "
- NiSource in $6 Billion Deal To Acquire Columbia Energy
- Unattributed (2008-05-12). "NiSource Inc.; NiSource's First Quarter 2008 Earnings in-line with Outlook". Energy Business Journal. p. 205. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- Portero, Ashley. "30 Major U.S. Corporations Paid More to Lobby Congress Than Income Taxes, 2008-2010". International Business Times. Archived from the original on 26 December 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Ohio Man Says Job Offer Was Rescinded Because He Was Home-Schooled". The Blaze. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States company or corporation involved in the energy industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|