List of One Direction members
Below are profiles of the group, in alphabetical order.
Niall James Horan, born Mullingar, County Westmeath, Ireland. Born to Bobby and Maura Gallagher, he has an older brother named Greg. Their parents divorced when he was five. He and his brother lived between each of their homes for a few years before eventually deciding to live with their father in Mullingar. Horan was a pupil at Coláiste Mhuire, a boys' Christian Brothers school. He was in his school's choir, performing seasonally around Christmas.13 September 1993 , is from
Prior to participating in The X Factor, he performed around his homeland, including as a support act for Lloyd Daniels in Dublin. Horan has been playing guitar since his childhood. Horan has also stated that he is a "big swing" fan, citing favourite artists Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Michael Bublé. Horan liked rock music and is a fan of The Eagles, Bon Jovi and The Script.
Zain Javadd "Zayn" Malik, born 12 January 1993 , is from Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. His father, Yaser Malik, is British Pakistani, and his mother, Tricia (née Brannan) Malik, is of Irish and English descent. He has one older sister, Doniya, and two younger sisters, Waliyha and Safaa.
He grew up in East Bowling, was a pupil at Lower Fields Primary School, and went to Tong High School, a state comprehensive school. Malik did not fit in at his first two schools due to his mixed heritage. Malik has stated that he started taking pride in his appearance after moving schools at the age of twelve. Upon auditioning for The X Factor, he stated: "I was looking for an experience". He cites urban music as his main musical influence, growing up, he was into R&B and rap. He as well as other members of One Direction further notes artists such as Bruno Mars, as a "dream collaborator." Malik is a heavy cigarette smoker; in late 2011, he expressed his desire to quit. Malik is Muslim, and once affirmed that by tweeting "La ila ha ill lalla ho muhammed door rasoolalah" (declaration of faith, meaning: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the prophet of Allah"). In June 2012, Malik's approach to Islam was criticised by blogger Debbie Schlussel, who accused him of advertising Islam to young fans; at the same time, he was criticised, on Twitter, by conservative Muslims, for not taking Islamic doctrine seriously enough.
Liam James Payne, born 29 August 1993 , is from Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England. Born three weeks early, to Karen and Geoff Payne, he has two older sisters, Ruth and Nicola. Until the age of four, Payne had regular tests done in hospital as doctors noticed one of his kidneys was scarred and dysfunctional. To help cope with the pain, he had 32 injections in his arm in the morning and evening as a child. As a student, Payne was heavily involved in sports. Payne was bullied in secondary school and took up boxing lessons at the age of 12. He was a music technology student at City of Wolverhampton College.
Payne had once performed in front of a crowd of 26,000 at a Wolverhampton Wanderers football match. Payne first auditioned in 2008 to The X Factor's fifth series when he was fourteen. He made it to the judges' houses, but Cowell thought he was not ready for the competition and asked him to come back in two years. Payne cites Justin Timberlake as one of his biggest influences. He also said that he draws inspiration from Take That member Gary Barlow when performing.
Harry Edward Styles, born  is from the village of Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, England. He is a former pupil at Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School, a state comprehensive school. Born to Anne Cox (née Selley) and Des Styles, he has one sibling, his elder sister Gemma. He was seven when their parents divorced; his mother subsequently remarried. Following the divorce, Styles, his older sister and mother moved further out into the Cheshire countryside. At the age of 12 he moved back to Holmes Chapel. Prior to participating in The X Factor, the then 16-year-old Styles had a part-time job at the W. Mandeville Bakery in Holmes Chapel.1 February 1994 ,
Styles was the lead singer for the band White Eskimo with band members lead guitarist Haydn Morris, bass guitarist Nick Clough and drummer Will Sweeny. They had once entered a Battle of the Bands competition, which they won. As a child, Styles loved singing, noting Elvis Presley as one of his influences. He also cites Presley for his musical beginnings. Styles cites contemporaries such as Foster the People, Coldplay and Kings of Leon among his influences. Styles stated that "The X Factor gave him 'a lot more' [confidence]" as a performer. He often looks to Coldplay front man Chris Martin for inspiration when performing on stage. Styles has stated that The Beatles had an influence on him growing up, as his father often played their music.
Louis William Tomlinson, born Louis Troy Austin on  is from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. Born to Johannah (née Poulston) and Troy Austin, his parents split up when he was young and he took the surname of his stepfather, Mark Tomlinson. He has one younger half-brother and six younger half-sisters, two of whom had roles as babies in the television series Fat Friends, on which he appeared as an extra. After Fat Friends, he attended an acting school in Barnsley. He had small parts in an ITV1 drama film If I Had You and BBC's Waterloo Road. He was a sixth form student at Hall Cross School, a state comprehensive school, and a former pupil of the Hayfield School. He failed his first year of A levels at the Hayfield School and ended up going back to Hall Cross and starting A levels again. He had a number of jobs, including at a Vue cinema and at Doncaster Rovers football stadium as a waiter in the hospitality suites.24 December 1991 ,
As a student at Hall Cross, Tomlinson appeared in several musical productions. Playing Danny Zuko in the Hall Cross musical production of Grease motivated him to audition for The X Factor. Tomlinson cites Robbie Williams as his biggest influence and idol. In an interview with Now magazine, he said: "I've always loved Robbie. He's just so cheeky, he can get away with anything. His performances are unbelievable." He also admires the recording artist Ed Sheeran, describing him as "phenomenal".
Tomlinson is currently in a long term relationship with Manchester student Eleanor Calder.
- "Mums of One Direction stars reveal how the boys have grown into music sensations". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Lisa McGarry (6 November 2010). "X Factor 2010: Niall Horan's brother says One Direction get along well". Unreality TV (Unrealitytv Limited). Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Mullingar teen has got the X Factor". Westmeath Examiner (Celtic Media Group). 7 July 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- Liz Thomas (29 March 2012). "Beatlemania takes a whole new Direction! Thousands gather in Montreal to catch a glimpse of the band". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Stan Walker, Short Stack, Michael Paynter, Amy Meredith. "One Direction Biography". The Hot Hits Live from LA (MCM Media). Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- South Wales Echo (13 January 2012). "One Direction prepare for Cardiff sell-out shows". WalesOnline. Media Wales. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- One Direction members (2011). Dare to Dream: Life as One Direction. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-00-744439-7.[page needed]
- "One Direction, Jessie J and Wretch 32 Unveil Their Best Christmas Presents Ever". Capital FM. Global Radio. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Niall Interview (VEVO LIFT): Brought to you by McDonald's". YouTube. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Leah Collins (12 March 2012). "One Direction: X Factor boy band on what sets them apart". National Post (Canada: Postmedia Network Inc.). Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Diva Fever's Craig Saggers: One Direction's Zain 'Zayn' Malik wears the dog-tag I gave him". Teen Now Magazine. IPC Media Limited. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2011.
- Emma Clayton (5 October 2010). "East Bowling teenager Zain Malik makes it to finals, but Bradford girl band Husstle bow out". Bradford Telegraph & Argus (Newsquest Media Group). Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Mabey, Meghan (24 April 2012). "Zayn Malik’s Two Arabic Chest Tattoos". Pop Tartas.
- "Zayn Malik's mum: When my boy leaves home, I cry at the gate". Now Magazine (IPC Media Limited). 22 April 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Ben Barnett (26 November 2010). "Classmates seek support for East Bowling One Direction star Zayn Malik". Bradford Telegraph & Argus (Newsquest Media Group). Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "Zayn Interview (VEVO LIFT): Brought to you by McDonald's". YouTube. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Maggie Doherty (26 March 2012). "Backbeat: One Direction's Harry Styles Gets a Faceful of Ice-Cream Cake at Z-100". Billboard.biz (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Emily Hewett (29 December 2011). "One Direction's Zayn Malik vows to quit smoking for New Year resolution". Metro (Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Kari Huus (18 June 2012). "One Direction singer Zayn Malik: Global pop star, and Muslim". msnbc.com (NBCUniversal). Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Zayn Malik's sister defends the One Direction star after he's attacked on Twitter for having tattoos and touring during Ramadan, nowmagazine.co.uk; accessed 10 February 2014.
- One Direction's Zayn Malik victim of religious attack|110% pop, uk.omg.yahoo.com; accessed 10 February 2014.
- 21 August 2013 (21 August 2013). "1D's Zayn confirms engagement to Perrie Edwards". Independent.ie.
- "Liam James Payne – Ancestry.co.uk". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Rebecca Davies (18 September 2011). "One Direction's Liam Payne: 'I effectively died as a baby'". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Victoria Nash (11 September 2010). "Liam Payne now sprinting to X Factor success". Express & Star (Midland News Association). Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "One Direction: "We Take Inspiration From Take That"". Capital FM (Global Radio). 23 December 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Tonks, Owen (2013-12-01). "Liam Payne and girlfriend Sophia Smith look sexy at Class of 92 premiere - 3am & Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk.
- "Harry Edward Styles profile at". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Harry Styles profile at". Capital FM. Global Radio. 12 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Belinda Ryan (29 September 2010). "Holmes Chapel X Factor star Harry Styles can win show say school bandmates". Crewe Chronicle (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Styles's grandfather proud of him, Times Of India; accessed 10 February 2014.]
- Lewis Panther (24 June 2012). "One Direction star Harry Styles' dad on bond between him and his boy". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Kate Simms (17 November 2010). "Harry Styles has got the X Factor in Holmes Chapel". BBC News (BBC). Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Andrei Harmsworth (20 April 2012). "Harry Styles: Ronnie Wood wanted to play guitar with One Direction". Metro. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Louis Troy Austin profile at". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "GRO Index Doncaster - January 1992". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Louis turns 20!". Onedirectionmusic.com (Sony Music Entertainment (UK) Ltd). 24 December 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Doncaster News and Features: Famous Doncastrian: Louis Tomlinson". Donny Online. Donny Online Network. 29 June 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Family album reveals my boy really has got the X Factor". The Star. Johnston Publishing Ltd. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Louis Interview (VEVO LIFT): Brought to you by McDonald's". YouTube. 23 March 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "One Direction's Louis Tomlinson is a fan of Robbie Williams". STV. STV Group. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "One Direction name debut album 'Up All Night', reveal cover". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. 16 October 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Louis Tomlinson and Eleanor Calder share a loved-up selfie from their trip to Tokyo, and get ghoul'd up for Halloween - PICS". Sugarscape. 2011-09-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to One Direction.|