Nic Chagall (left) performing in Melbourne, 2009.
|Birth name||Claus Terhoeven|
10 November 1972 |
|Genres||Trance, Melancholy trance|
|Labels||High Contrast Recordings|
|Associated acts||Cosmic Gate|
Nic Chagall (born Claus Terhoeven; 10 November 1972 in Krefeld, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany) is a German trance music producer and DJ best known for being one half of the German trance duo Cosmic Gate. He also co-founded Essential Cuts Studio in Duisburg, Germany in 1999, now better known as E-CUTZ, where he also works with Erich Schmeier (aka DJ Errik) and Andre Wevers (aka DJ Wave) and also has his own radio show, "Get The Kicks" on Afterhours.FM.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (March 2011)|
Having conceived the DJ team Cosmic Gate, he is a prolific producer with hundreds of tracks to his name. Touring clubs around the globe every weekend, he has established himself as a creative and eclectic producer in the EDM scene.
In 2006 Nic Chagall aka Claus Terhoeven returned to his roots as a solo producer. His debut single "Monday Bar" was an international breakthrough. It gaining him immediate support of renowned DJs like Tiësto, Paul van Dyk and Armin van Buuren, and the track was in heavy rotation in trance podcasts and radio shows.
His second single "What You Need" became his trademark, blending popular anthemic mixes, progressive trance with prominent rock elements. His DJ sets at the indoor event "Trance Energy" or the open-air "Mysteryland" are popular with thousands of fans, singing along to the chorus. Another indicator for the popularity of the tune was the rush of bootlegs, mash-ups and remix-requests that followed its release. 2008 saw the much longed for re-release of "What You Need (The remixes)" with Marco V's version conquering the charts anew. When Chagall's second EP "Sun Red" / "Sky Blue" was released only a few weeks later, he was well represented on many charts. Djdownload.com, for example, saw him enter the top three straight off.
In the last two years, as a remixer he's worked on tracks by Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Marcel Woods, Filo & Peri and Wippenberg. Impressed by his work, the band Above & Beyond voted him their producer of the year in 2007. In 2008 he was on stage at many important trance festivals worldwide. He joining Tiësto on his "In Search of Sunrise Stage" at Mysteryland, for example.
Unlike some of the trance projects who split, Chagall has kept his ties with Bossi: Cosmic Gate is still together and continue to tour major venues and festivals around the world. He also released in 2009 his single "This Moment" which became a hit in disco clubs and radio shows. He also has his own radio show, "Get The Kicks" on Afterhours.FM. In 2014 he is looking to release his new single and finish tracks for his first solo album.
Singles / EPs
- "Sansibar" / "I Don't Know" (2005)
- "Monday Bar" (2006)
- "Borderline" / "Back To San Fran" (2007)
- "What You Need" (2007)
- "Sun Red" / "Sky Blue" (2008)
- "What You Need REMIXES" (2008)
- "This Moment" (2009)
- "Morning Light" (2010)
- "100" (2010)
- "Alone With You" (2011)
- Wippenberg – "Promisedland" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2007
- Filo & Peri feat. Eric Lumiere – "The Anthem" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2007
- Armin Van Buuren – "Sound of Goodbye" (Nic Chagall Drumbeat Edit) 2007
- Marcel Woods – "New Feeling" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2007
- Marcus Schulz – "Cause You Know" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2008
- Dash Berlin – "Man on the Run" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2009
- Marco V – "Coming Back" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2009
- Tiësto – "Here on Earth" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2010
- Susana feat. Josh Gabriel – "Frozen" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2010
- Aruna with Mark Eteson – "Let Go" (Nic Chagall Remix) 2010
- Emma Hewitt – "Rewind" (Nic Chagall Remix) (postponed)