Nicaragua–South Ossetia relations
Nicaragua – South Ossetia relations refers to bilateral foreign relations between Nicaragua and the Republic of South Ossetia. Nicaragua extended diplomatic recognition to South Ossetia and Abkhazia on 5 September 2008.
After the recognition was announced, the Nicaraguan Foreign Ministry stated that they would immediately establish ties with Tskhinvali and would eventually appoint an ambassador to the republic. At a press conference in November 2008, Nicaraguan Foreign Minister Samuel Santos Lopez said, "Certainly, we think that the decision [to recognize independent Abkhazia and South Ossetia] was fair and appropriate. They [the republics] must be given time for inner formalities. We will coordinate the possibility and terms of direct diplomatic relations at a convenient moment. Obviously and logically, we will be acting via our friends, probably Russia, to establish closer contacts and diplomatic relations [with the republics]."
Whilst on a state visit to Russia in December 2008, Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega expressed his desire to travel to Abkhazia and South Ossetia in the future, and stated that Nicaragua is in solidarity with the people of the two countries.
The recognition of South Ossetia by Nicaragua triggered immediate reactions from other countries involved in the dispute over the status of South Ossetia. Georgia responded to Nicaragua's concurrent recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia by cutting diplomatic relations with the Central American state at the end of November 2008. Russia offered to strengthen ties with Nicaragua and to provide aid to Nicaragua to help rebuild areas damaged by hurricanes. The U.S. Secretary of Commerce canceled a planned trip to Nicaragua, with the U.S. Ambassador in Managua saying, "It isn't the appropriate moment for the visit."
- "El Presidente de la República Nicaragua Decreto No. 46-2008". Government of Nicaragua.
- "El Presidente de la República Nicaragua Decreto No. 47-2008". Government of Nicaragua.
- "Nicaragua salutes new states in Caucasus". Russia Today. 5 September 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Nicaragua Considering Diplomatic Relations With Abkhazia, South Ossetia". iStockAnalyst. 2008-11-01. Retrieved 2009-03-04.[dead link]
- "Nicaraguan President committed to visiting South Ossetia & Abkhazia". Russia Today. 18 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "Georgia severs diplomatic ties with Nicaragua". People's Daily. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "Russia seeks close ties with US ex-foe Nicaragua". Reuters. 2008-09-18. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "U.S.-Nicaraguan Relations Chill as Ortega Faces Domestic Tests". World Politics Review. 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Президент Южной Осетии освободил Наримана Козаева от посольской должности". Information Agency Res. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.