Nice to Meet You (Forever the Sickest Kids song)
|"Nice to Meet You"|
|Single by Forever the Sickest Kids|
|from the album J.A.C.K.|
|Released||May 28, 2013|
|Genre||Pop punk, pop rock|
|Writer(s)||Austin Bello, Kyle Burns, Jonathan Cook, Caleb Turman, Rico Garcia, Marc Stewart|
|Forever the Sickest Kids singles chronology|
"Nice to Meet You" is a song recorded by American pop punk band Forever the Sickest Kids for their third studio album J.A.C.K. It was released as the album's second single on May 28, 2013. It was written by Austin Bello, Kyle Burns, Jonathan Cook, Caleb Turman, Rico Garcia, and Marc Stewart. The song was originally posted as a lyric video on Billboard on May 24 and then later on YouTube by Fearless Records on May 27.
Writing and inspiration
Vocalist Jonathan Cook explained about the song, "'Nice to Meet You' was a song we wrote about honest feelings about how the media is so filled with negativity nowadays. We live in the greatest country in the world and these lyrics are about how our country's stereotypes are perceived by outsiders looking in." The band's former lead guitarist Marc Stewart co-wrote the song, alongside Rico Garcia, who replaced Stewart as a touring member for the band.
The song also revamps the song "America" by Been Bradley, the acoustic/electronic project that band members Austin Bello and Caleb Turman had created before the formation of Forever the Sickest Kids. The lyric in the hook, "America, nice to meet you", is the same and the background vocals ("Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh") imitate the instrumentation from "America".
In an interview with Turman, he said of the idea, "It was our chance to rebirth an idea that we really wanted to release. We were like 'Oh, we have this song that we were working on and I'm not entirely sure if it is going to work. But if it does work, it could be amazing.' We told the guys that and played that section of the song. That's how it happened. Everyone seemed to love it and we kind of moved on past it."
Two clips previewing the music video for the song were uploaded on YouTube by Fearless Records on July 1. The official release of the video was not revealed until December 13, when the band announced it would be released three days later. The video premiered on December 16 on Vevo. The band shot the video with G&L.
The music video features the band performing the song in front of a large wall with graffiti on it, mainly displaying political illustrations and the lyrics of the song. The band's touring member, Rico Garcia, is seen performing with the band. The video also follows a group of men who spray paint graffiti of the illustrations and lyrics in the streets, as well.
"Nice to Meet You" received a positive response among fans and critics, with one reviewer stating, "These guys continue to produce top quality music – instrumentally and lyrically. 'Nice To Meet You' is basically outlining everything that is wrong with society – from what we hear to what we do. Do yourself a favor and listen to 'Nice To Meet You'..."
Matthew Sievers of SF Media said, "...this [song's] lyrical content is the best I've seen these guys achieve and that is a real testament. It's a laid back track and it'll make you smile, if it doesn't than you’re most likely not a fan of this music anyway." Chris Cave from Reviews From The Cave said "Nice to Meet You" has "strong memorable lyrics and [is] a really catchy song." Hit the Floor Magazine called it "one of the strongest on the album."
A less positive review said, "...it seems as though FTSK set the bar so high on their debut full length Underdog Alma Mater, no matter what they put out they can’t seem to top it. While "Nice To Meet You" isn’t terrible by any means, it's incomparable to the band’s earlier material."
|1.||"Nice to Meet You"||3:32|
|United States||May 28, 2013||Digital download, stream||Fearless Records|
- Forever The Sickest Kids, 'Nice To Meet You': Exclusive Song/Lyric Video Premiere By Jason Lipshutz. Retrieved 24 May 2013
- Forever The Sickest Kids - "Nice To Meet You" By FearlessRecords. Retrieved 27 May 2013
- AMH Network Interview with Caleb Turman of Forever The Sickest Kids - AMH Network By Luke Bunworth. Retrieved 4 July 2013
- Forever The Sickest Kids - 'J.A.C.K.' Album Trailer (15 seconds) By FearlessRecords. Retrieved 1 July 2013
- Forever The Sickest Kids - 'J.A.C.K.' Album Trailer (30 seconds) By FearlessRecords. Retrieved 1 July 2013
- New Music Video Monday?! on Twitpic By Forever the Sickest Kids. Retrieved 13 December 2013
- G&L Guitars News: Forever The Sickest Kids Shoot New Video With G&L
- Lost In Noise | Forever The Sickest Kids:: Nice To Meet You Retrieved 27 May 2013
- Forever The Sickest Kids – J.A.C.K – CD Review By Matthew Sievers. Retrieved 12 June 2013
- Reviews From The Cave: Forever The Sickest Kids - J.A.C.K. By Chris Cave. Retrieved 16 June 2013
- Review: Forever The Sickest Kids – J.A.C.K. (Album) By Freya Cochrane. Retrieved 20 June 2013
- Forever The Sickest Kids Release New Song "Nice To Meet You" By Tyler Sharp. Retrieved 27 May 2013
- iTunes - Music - Nice to Meet You - Single by Forever the Sickest Kids