Nicholas Andrew Cummings (born July 25, 1924) is an American psychologist and author. Former president of the American Psychological Association (1979) and Chief of Mental Health with the Kaiser Permanente Health Maintenance Organization (1959-1979), he co-founded with his wife the Nicholas & Dorothy Cumming Foundations, Inc. in 1994. The Foundation is dedicated to ensuring routine healthcare includes doctoral psychotherapy. Cummings has authored or co-authored a number of books. He was born in Salinas, California.
Cummings first attended the University of California at Berkeley, receiving a bachelor's degree in psychology, before moving to Claremont Graduate University for his master's and Adelphi University for a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Nicholas Cummings has been married to Dorothy Mills Cummings for over 60 years. They have two children, Janet and Andy, and two grandchildren, Amy and Kent.
- Cummings, Nicholas A.; William T. O'Donohue (24 April 2008). Eleven Blunders That Cripple Psychotherapy in America: a Remedial Unblundering. CRC Press. ISBN 978-0-415-98963-3.
- Cummings, Nicholas A.; William T O'Donohue; J. Lawrence Thomas (6 December 2002). Entrepreneur of Psychology: The Collected Papers of Nicholas A. Cummings. Zeig Tucker & Theisen Publishers. ISBN 978-1-891944-92-5.
- Cummings, Nicholas A.; Janet L. Cummings (3 March 2000). The Essence of Psychotherapy: Reinventing the Art in the New Era of Data. Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-198760-2.
- Cummings, Nicholas A. (September 2002). The Impact of Medical Cost Offset on Practice and Research: Making It Work for You. Context Press. ISBN 978-1-878978-41-7.
- Cummings, Nicholas A. (28 August 2001). Integrated Behavioral Healthcare: Positioning Mental Health Practice with Medical/Surgical Practice. Academic Press. ISBN 978-0-12-198761-9.
- Cummings, Nicholas A.; Mike K. Sayama (1 August 1995). Focused Psychotherapy: a Casebook of Brief, Intermittent Psychotherapy Throughout the Life Cycle. Psychology Press. ISBN 978-0-87630-789-2.
- Cummings, Nicholas A.; J. Lawrence Thomas; Janet L. Cummings (June 2000). The Value of Psychological Treatment: Collected Papers of Nicholas A. Cummings. Zeig Tucker & Theisen Publishers. ISBN 978-1-891944-12-3.
- O'Donohue, William T.; Nicholas A. Cummings (12 February 2008). Evidence-based Adjunctive Treatments. Academic Press. ISBN 978-0-12-088520-6.
- Wright, Rogers H.; Nicholas A. Cummings (2005). Destructive Trends in Mental Health: the Well-intentioned Path to Harm. Psychology Press. ISBN 978-0-415-95086-2.
- Wright, Rogers H.; Nicholas A. Cummings (September 2001). The Practice of Psychology: the Battle for Professionalism. Zeig Tucker & Theisen Publishers. ISBN 978-1-891944-73-4.
- "Former APA President Dr. Nicholas Cummings Describes his Work with SSA Clients". National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "The Nicholas & Dorothy Cummings Foundation". cummingsfoundation.org. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Biographical Sketches, Nicholas A. Cummings, Ph.D., Sc.D.". thecummingsfoundation.org. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|