Prince Nicholas of Romania (b. 1985)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (May 2014)|
|Prince Nicholas of Romania|
|House||House of Romania|
|Mother||Princess Elena of Romania|
1 April 1985 |
|Romanian Royal Family|
|* titled accordingly in private family rules|
Prince Nicholas of Romania (born 1 April 1985), is one of the designated heirs to the defunct throne of Romania according to the new family statute enacted in 2007. He is the eldest child and only son of Princess Elena of Romania and Robin Medforth-Mills.
Nicholas was born in Meyrin, a commuter town near Geneva, Switzerland. The family moved to England sometime after Nicholas' birth, and his younger sister, Elisabeta Karina was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Nicholas attended Shiplake College in Henley-on-Thames.
Prince of Romania
On 30 December 2007 Nicholas' maternal grandfather, Michael of Romania, announced for Nicholas the title Prince of Romania with the style of "Royal Highness", which came into effect on Nicholas' 25th birthday, 1 April 2010. By virtue of his new title, he has become a member of the former Romanian Royal Family.
On the same occasion, Michael, citing EU legislation and the values of the Romanian society, signed a new Statute of the Royal House, called Fundamental Rules of the Royal Family of Romania, apparently to entail his heritage and that of his predecessors, and also in an attempt to replace the 1884 Statute. By this new statute, considered by some Romanian commentators as an undemocratic act of only symbolic importance in the absence of its approval by the Parliament, there is a new line of succession to the defunct throne of Romania, in which Nicholas is in the third place, after his aunt and mother. Whilst otherwise, according to the last democratically enacted royal Constitution of Romania, dated 1923, which was based on Salic law, Nicholas would be barred from the throne (see "Line of succession to the Romanian throne"). On the same occasion, Michael also asked the Romanian Parliament that, should it consider restoring the monarchy, it should also abolish the Salic law of succession.
According to the new Statute, Nicholas became a member of the Royal Family, part of the broader Royal House, on 1 April 2010. He is a dynast and a member of the Romanian Royal House. As Nicholas' aunt, Crown Princess Margareta of Romania is childless and old, it is most likely that upon the deaths of his grandfather, aunt, and mother, Nicholas would succeed as the future Head of the Romanian Royal House and pretender to the throne.
According to designations of Michael, the Headship of the Royal House entails governance over the foundations of the family, tenure of the estates and residences of the House, as well as sovereignty over the House orders of chivalry, among other things.
On 29 February 2008, Nicholas Medforth-Mills declared in an interview with the Romanian daily newspaper Cotidianul that if the Romanian people asked him to become a King, he wouldn't refuse. The Romanian press referred to him as "Prince Nicholas," even before he actually held the title.
Beginning in 2008, Nicholas is more and more present in the public life of Romania, taking part, for instance, at the 2008 UNITER theater gala and in the work visits throughout the country of his uncle, the former Special Representative of the Government, HRH Prince Radu of Romania.
Titles, styles and honours
Prince Nicholas of Romania
|Reference style||His Royal Highnes|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 1 April 1985 – 31 March 2010: Mr Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills
- 1 April 2010 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania
- House of Romania: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
- House of Romania: Recipient of the Nihil Sine Deo Medal
|Ancestors of Nicholas Medforth-Mills|
- Fundamental Rules of the Royal Family of Romania, The Romanian Royal Family website as retrieved on 9 January 2008
- (Romanian) "A Dynastical Constitution," Romania libera, 9 January 2008
- (Romanian) "The King and Margarita – On The "Day of the Republic" The King Designated His Successor", Jurnalul National, 2 January 2008
- (Romanian) "The Actor Duda in The Role of A Lifetime: Prince Consort of Romania," Cotidianul, 3 January 2008
- (Romanian) Prince Nicholas: “I am ready to be the King of Romania”, Cotidianul, 28 February 2008
- Romania: The discreet tonic of monarchy. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Nepotul regelui Mihai, vizita in tacere la Iasi: Da, place!. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- (Romanian) "Prince Georg | 15 – 04 – 2008", Prince Radu's blog, accessed on 18 April 2008
- (Romanian) "Salonta and Beius | 17 – 04 – 2008", Prince Radu's blog, accessed on 18 April 2008
- (Romanian) "Oradea and Marghita | 18 – 04 – 2008", Prince Radu's blog, accessed on 19 April 2008
- (Romanian) "Carei and Satu Mare | 19 – 04 – 2008", Prince Radu's blog, accessed on 19 April 2008
- (Romanian) "Prince Radu in Bihor county", Prince Radu's website, accessed on 18 April 2008
- (Romanian) "The pupils from Gura Vadului | 16 – 04 – 2008", Prince Radu's blog, accessed on 18 April 2008
- (Romanian) "The visit of the pupils from Gura Vadului", Prince Radu's website, accessed on 18 April 2008
- Mosley, Charles. Blood Royal – From the time of Alexander the Great to Queen Elizabeth II (Ruvigny Ltd, London, 2002) (ISBN 0-9524229-9-9) (page 288)
- House of Romania
- Genealogy of the Royal Family of Romania at the Wayback Machine (archived October 28, 2009)
- The Peerage
Prince Nicholas of Romania (b. 1985)Born: 1 April 1985
Princess Elena of Romania
|Line of succession to the former Romanian throne according to the 2007 Statute