|Nicholas P. Scutari|
|Member of the New Jersey Senate
from the 22nd Legislative District
|Preceded by||Joseph Suliga|
|Born||November 18, 1968|
|Residence||Linden, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||B.A. Kean University (Psychology)
Ed.M. Rutgers University
J.D. Thomas M. Cooley Law School
|Website||Legislative web page|
Nicholas P. Scutari (born November 18, 1968) is an American Democratic Party politician, who has been serving in the New Jersey State Senate since 2004, where he represents the 22nd Legislative District.
Before his election the Senate, Scutari was a member of the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, where he became the youngest Freeholder Chairman in county history. He served as Freeholder Chairman in 1999, after serving a year as Freeholder Vice Chairman. Prior to being a freeholder, he served as a member of the Board of Education in Linden.
Senator Scutari served on the State Government Committee (as Chair), the Joint State Leasing and Space Utilization Committee, the Commerce Committee and the Judiciary Committee. He is a former Commissioner of the New Jersey Clean Elections Commission. He is also a former Vice Chairman of the Senate Education Committee. He now heads the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Scutari received a B.A. from Kean University in Psychology, a M.Ed.D. from Rutgers University in Education and a J.D. from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School. He is an attorney, Law Offices of Nicholas P. Scutari.
The Scutari family has a tradition and passion for politics; in Italy his uncle Donato Scutari, a member of the Italian Communist Party, was elected Deputy and Senator of the Italian Republic.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 22nd District for the 2012-2013 Legislative Session are:
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011|
|Democratic||Nicholas Scutari (incumbent)||16,104||61.6%|
|Republican||Michael W. Class||10,024||38.4%|
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2007|
|Democratic||Nicholas Scutari (incumbent)||14,711||56.9%|
- Senator Scutari's Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 14, 2008.
- via Associated Press. "Democrats allowed to substitute candidate -- Union state senator quit after his arrest", The Record (Bergen County), October 4, 2003. Accessed April 11, 2008. "Democratic leaders named Nicholas P. Scutari to replace Sen. Joseph Suliga, D-Union, who dropped out of the 22nd District election race last week to seek treatment for 'an alcohol-related problem.'"
- Legislative Roster 2012-2013 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 14, 2011. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2007 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 3, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Senator Scutari's legislative webpage, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Senator Nicholas P. Scutari, Project Vote Smart
|Chairman of the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Union County, New Jersey