Location in Coffee County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||1.85 sq mi (4.80 km2)|
|• Land||1.83 sq mi (4.73 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
|• Density||1,815/sq mi (700.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0356428|
Nicholls is a city in Coffee County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2,798 as of the 2010 census, up from 1,008 at the 2000 census, due to counting of the Coffee Correctional Facility population within the city limits. The estimated population as of 2013 was 3,317.
Nicholls is located near the eastern border of Coffee County at  Georgia State Route 32 passes through the community, leading west 13 miles (21 km) to Douglas, the county seat, and east 10 miles (16 km) to Alma.(31.516941, -82.637654).
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,008 people, 406 households, and 278 families residing in the city. The population density was 646.4 people per square mile (249.5/km²). There were 500 housing units at an average density of 320.6 per square mile (123.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 55.36% White, 43.55% African American, 0.40% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.50% from other races, and 0.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.19% of the population.
There were 406 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.4% were married couples living together, 21.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 85.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,750, and the median income for a family was $24,479. Males had a median income of $23,990 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,592. About 24.5% of families and 30.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.7% of those under age 18 and 33.9% of those age 65 or over.
The Wiregrass Arena is located in Nicholls. It is the home of many agricultural events as well as Nicholls Founders Day, an annual festival.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Nicholls city, Georgia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013: Georgia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.