January 26, 1960 |
Scituate, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Notable works||The Reenactments (2013), Another Bullshit Night in Suck City (2004), Some Ether (2000), Blind Huber (2002)|
|Notable awards||PEN/Martha Albrand Award for the Art of the Memoir, Guggenheim Fellowship, Witter Bynner Fellowship, PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry|
Nick Flynn (born January 26, 1960) is an American writer, playwright, and poet. His most recent publication is The Reenactments, which chronicles Flynn's experience during the making of Being Flynn, a film based on his acclaimed 2004 memoir, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City. Flynn is also the author of three collections of poetry, including Some Ether, which won the inaugural PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry in 1999, and was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize.
Nick Flynn was raised by his mother in Scituate, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. At 27, Flynn was unexpectedly reunited with his father at the Pine Street Inn, a homeless shelter in Boston, when his then-homeless father showed up as a 'guest.' He examined his relationship with his father, as well as the suicide of his mother, in Another Bullshit Night in Suck City. Flynn explored his decision to have a child in his second memoir,The Ticking Is The Bomb. Following its publication, he wrote a book of poetry,The Captain Asks for a Show of Hands, which continued on similar themes. The Reenactments is the final book in Flynn's trilogy of memoirs.
Flynn's initial focus was on poetry, and he held a fellowship at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, Massachusetts, before moving to New York to pursue his Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing at New York University. He was a member of Columbia University's Writing Project, in which he served as an educator and consultant in New York public schools. He currently teaches Creative Writing at the University of Houston.
Flynn's poems, essays, and non-fiction have been featured in The New Yorker, Paris Review, National Public Radio's This American Life, and The New York Times Book Review, and have been translated into 14 languages.
- 2005 PEN/Martha Albrand Award for the Art of the Memoir
- 2001 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 2001 Witter Bynner Fellowship
- 2001 Amy Lowell Poetry Travelling Scholarship
- 1999 Discovery/The Nation Award for his poem, Bag of Mice, about his mother's suicide.
- 1999 PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry, Some Ether
- 1999 Larry Levis Prize (Virginia Commonwealth University)
|This section lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (November 2013)|
- Some Ether: Poems (Graywolf Press, 2000)
- Blind Huber: Poems (Graywolf Press, 2002)
- The Captain Asks for a Show of Hands (Graywolf Press, 2011)
- Another Bullshit Night in Suck City: A Memoir (W. W. Norton & Company, 2004) ISBN 0-393-05139-0
- The Ticking Is the Bomb: A Memoir (W. W. Norton & Company, 2010)
- The Reenactments: A Memoir (W. W. Norton & Company, 2013)
- A Note Slipped Under the Door: Teaching from Poems We Love (Stenhouse Publishers, 2000, co-authored with Shirley McPhillips)
- Alice Invents a Little Game and Alice Always Wins: A Play (Faber & Faber, 2008)
- Crossroads (2001), with Josh Neufeld
- Artistic collaborator and field poet, Darwin's Nightmare (2004)
- Executive producer and artistic collaborator, Being Flynn (2011)
- "The Reenactments at W.W. Norton". Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Kellogg, Carolyn (January 18, 2013). "Nick Flynn, On the Set of His Life Story, LA Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Elliott, Stephen (September 19, 2004). "Father Limps Back into His Son's Life, San Francisco Chronicle". The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Miliard, Mike. "The Prodigal Father, Boston Phoenix". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "NPR's Fresh Air Interview With Nick Flynn". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Botton, Sari. "Conversations With Writers Braver Than Me, The Rumpus". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Monroy, Liza. "Turning Memoir into Fiction, Guernica". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Baker, Jeff (January 5, 2013). "Bookmarks, The Oregonian". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Library of Congress Interview with Nick Flynn". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Parks, Louis B. "A Lesson in Self Discovery, Embracing Homosexuality, Houston Chronicle". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Love by the Book, New York Magazine". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Nick Flynn at Litquake". Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation > Fellows > Nick Flynn
- PEN American Center > Poetry > Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry > Previous Winners
- "Darwin's Nightmare at IMDB". Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "Being Flynn Credits at Focus Features". Retrieved February 3, 2013.