Nick Knight (photographer)
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (November 2013)|
|Known for||fashion photography and film, documentary photography|
Knight has won awards for his editorial work for Vogue, Dazed & Confused, i-D, The Face, W Magazine, Another Magazine, Arena Homme + and Visionaire, as well as for fashion and advertising projects such as the 2004 edition of the Pirelli Calendar.
Knight's work has been exhibited at the Victoria & Albert Museum, Saatchi Gallery, the Photographers' Gallery and Hayward Gallery. He has produced a few books of his work including the retrospectives Nicknight (1994) and Nick Knight (2009).
Life and career
His first book of photographs, 'Skinhead', was published in 1982, whilst a student at Bournemouth. He was then commissioned by i-D editor Terry Jones to create a series of 100 portraits for the magazine's fifth anniversary issue. As a result of those black-and-white portraits, his work caught the attention of art director Marc Ascoli, who commissioned Knight to shoot the 1986 catalogue of avant-garde Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto in collaboration with renowned graphic designer Peter Saville. Since this first foray into fashion photography, he has shot both editorial and advertising projects for clients including Alexander McQueen, Audi, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, Jil Sander, Lancôme, Levi Strauss, Martine Sitbon, Mercedes-Benz, Royal Ballet, Royal Opera House, Swarovski and Yves Saint Laurent.
He has shot album covers for Björk, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Boy George, David Bowie, Kylie Minogue, The Style Council, Lady Gaga, Paul Weller, Gwen Stefani, Cheryl Cole, Seal, ABC and Massive Attack.
Knight directed his first music video in 2001, for the song "Pagan Poetry" by pop singer Björk. In 2011 he directed the video for Lady Gaga's single "Born This Way". In 2013 he directed Kanye West's "Bound 2" video.
Launch of SHOWstudio.com
In November 2000, Knight launched SHOWstudio.com, an online fashion broadcasting company specialising in new, live fashion media with experimental interactive projects, films and live performances. It has broadcast live with collaborations from Björk, Boy George, Lady Gaga, Gisele Bündchen, Kate Moss and John Galliano to Leigh Bowery, Heston Blumenthal and Antony & the Johnsons.
- Skinhead. London; New York: Omnibus, 1982. ISBN 978-0711900523.
- Out of fashion: Photographs. London: Photographers' Gallery, 1989. ISBN 978-0907879220.
- Nicknight. Munich: Schirmer/Mosel, 1994. ISBN 9783888146619. Produced and directed by Marc Ascoli, Nick Knight and Peter Saville. Written by Satoko Nakahara.
- Flora. Text by Sandra Knapp, art direction by Peter Saville, design by Paul Barnes. Initiated in 1993 for his installation of 'Plant Power' at the Natural History Museum, London.
- Nick Knight. With an introduction by Charlotte Cotton.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
- Moët et Chandon Fashion Tribute
- 'Most Inspirational Photographer' & 'Most Admired Person in the Creative Industries' in the Ultimate League Table 2001, Creative Review
- Terence Donovan Award by the Royal Photographic Society for major achievement in the previous year by a British photographer in the field of commercial, advertising or editorial work
- Gold Medal at New York Festival for 'Best Book for Car Literature' for CLCoupe work
- 'Photographer of the Year' at Pantene Pro V Awards
- "Best Front Cover of the Year" for Dazed & Confused September 98 issue in the Total Publishing Magazine Design Awards
- D&AD Silver Award for Most Outstanding Music Poster for Massive Attack album "Mezzanine"
- Design Distinction award from International Design Magazine in USA for front cover of Visionaire 27 Movement
- 'Fashion Photography (series) of the Year 99' for 'Handicapped in Fashion' for the Lead Photographie.99 – LeadAwards.99, Germany
- Silver medal for 'CLCoupe print Advertisements' at the New York Festival
- "The Power of Photography" award
- Honorary Master of Arts from Anglia Polytechnic University
- Honorary Fellowship from Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design
- Royal Mail's "Stamp Innovation Award" for his photography of the Olympics Stamps 1996
- "The Advertising Women of the New York Award" for the Vogue fashion story "Modern Curves" June 97
- D&AD Award for 'Best Photographic Campaign' for Levi's Red Tab 'OriginalWearers Campaign'
- Voted 'Most Influential fashion photographer in the World' by The Face magazine
- 'Best Studio Photographer' award at the International Festival De La Photo De Mode
- XYZ Design Award for best poster for the Natural History Museum – Plant Power
- Voted by GQ magazine as one of Britain's best dressed men
- 1991, 92
- Awarded the Best Catalogue Award at the International Festival De La Photo De Mode for his two Jil Sander catalogues
- Halina Award for best young British Fashion photographer and 'Gold Award USA Best Magazine Fashion Story' for Faith for Arena Magazine
- 'Club Des Directors Artistique Award' for Best Luxury Goods Campaign for Christoffle Silverware and 'Expansion Magazine Awards – Most Successful Banking Campaign' for Barclays
- 'Magazine Publishing Award' for the i-D Magazine Back to School Fashion Story
- 1985, 87
- Kodak UK Photographer of the Year Award
- Awarded the Designers & Art Directors Award Best Book Cover for 'Skinhead'
- SHOWstudio, FASHION REVOLUTION – exhibition at Somerset House, London
- ARCHEOLOGY OF ELEGANCE – Deichtorhallen Museum in Hamburg
- TALKING TO MYSELF – exhibition on Yohji Yamamoto at La Masion Européenne de la Photographie, Paris
- CENTURY CITY – London – Tate Modern
- CUT – exhibition by the hairdresser Barnabee at Musee de la Mode, Paris.
- CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF PHOTO DISTRICT NEWS Exhibition in New York.
- IMPOSSIBLE IMAGE – To promote the book published by Phaidon Press, Exhibition in Japan
- LA BEAUTE – Exhibition for EN2000, Avignon
- FACING THE FUTURE' – Touring Exhibition to celebrate 20 years of The Face Magazine
- 'DAS FERNGLAS' – at the Deutsche Hygiene Museum, Dresden
- NADJA – Exhibition celebrating Nadja Auermann in Germany
- 'IMPERFECT BEAUTY' – at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- 'REVOLVER' – exhibition at the MTV Music Awards in Stockholm
- 'NURTURE AND DESIRE' – exhibition on Breast cancer at the Hayward Gallery
- SILVER & SYRUP – Victoria & Albert Museum
- 'H20' at the KOBI MUSEUM, Japan
- LOOK AT ME – FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 1965 TO PRESENT; a travelling exhibition put together by the British Council
- powerhause::uk; an exhibition put together by the Dept Trade & Industry
- THE ORIENTAL CURIOSITY – 21st CENTURY CHINOISERIE – travelled to London, Paris, Hong Kong
- SHOREDITCH BIENNALE
- HANDY SHORTS – at the Lux Cinema
- THE FIRST 25, a retrospective exhibition of images from Visionaire magazine at Colette, Paris
- ADDRESSING THE CENTURY: 100 YEARS OF ART & FASHION; exhibition at the Hayward Gallery
- TABOO; an exhibition curated by Creative Review
- NO SEX PLEASE WE'RE BRITISH; exhibition in Japan, organised by Shiseido Co Ltd with Dazed & Confused
- YVES SAINT LAURENT – 40 YEARS OF CREATION; exhibition in New York and Tokyo
- CONTEMPORARY FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY – The Victoria & Albert Museum – the V&A have also bought pieces of Nick's work for their Photographic Print Collection
- JAM – exhibition at the Barbican Arts Centre, London
- LITTLE BOXES – a travelling exhibition curated by Michael Mack, in conjunction with the launch of his book 'Surface – Contemporary Photographic Practice'
- A POSITIVE VIEW, Saatchi Gallery
- VANITIES exhibition in Paris
- 'Plant Power'; exhibition at the Natural History Museum, London. Permanent installation.
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition in Monaco
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition in Barcelona
- OUT OF FASHION at the Photographers Gallery
- Ils Annoncent La Colour at the "Les Rencontres D'Arles" Group Exhibition – Holly Soloman Gallery New York
- 20 FOR TODAY at the National Portrait Gallery and 14–21 Youth Culture Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Group Exhibition 1982 at the Photographers Gallery
- Who's Who: Nick Knight, Jo Craven (Vogue). 21 April 2008.
- Smyth, Diane (Winter 2009), "Nick Knight: Showman", Aperture (197): 68–75
- The Light of Love: The Making of the Pagan Poetry Video, Alien Rock (Bjork.com). 2002.
- Montgomery, James (28 February 2011). "Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' Video Premieres". Viacom. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 12 June 2010.
- Nick Knight
- "Exploring Photography : Photographers : Nick Knight". Victoria and Albert Museum. Retrieved 8 June 2007.