Masset with the Cincinnati Reds
Miami Marlins – No. 46
May 17, 1982 |
St. Petersburg, Florida
|June 27, 2006 for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.02|
Nicholas Allen Masset (born May 17, 1982) is an American professional baseball right-handed relief pitcher for the Miami Marlins. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds and Colorado Rockies. He attended Pinellas Park High School and was drafted in the eight round of the 2000 amateur draft by the Texas Rangers after having UCL replacement in March of his senior year. He was a draft and follow and played for the St. Petersburg Jr College Trojans for one season and then signed with the Texas Rangers before the 2001 amateur draft.
Chicago White Sox
On July 31, 2008, Masset, along with infielder Danny Richar were both traded to the Cincinnati Reds for Ken Griffey Jr. After the trade Masset appeared in 10 games for the Reds going 1-0 with an ERA of 2.08 in 17 1/3 innings. The 2009 season saw Masset going 5-1 in 76 innings with an earned run average of 2.37. In 2010 Masset went 4-4 in 76 2/3 with an ERA of 3.40. In 2011 Masset went 3-6 in 70 1/3 innings to an ERA of 3.71. At the start of the 2012 Masset was sidelined with right shoulder injury. He would not pitch all year before on September 7 having surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule. Masset was expected to be ready for the start of the 2013 season but would again miss the entire season. Masset had surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome.
Masset agreed to a minor league contract with the Colorado Rockies for the 2014 season. He was called up on May 5, relieving for the first time in 2 years. On June 17, Masset was suspended for 3 games following an incident against Atlanta in which he was ejected for throwing at Evan Gattis. Masset elected to not appeal the suspension and began serving it on June 17. Through 20 games before the suspension, Masset was 1-0 with a 4.00 ERA, striking out 16 in 18 appearances.
Masset signed a minor league contract with the Miami Marlins on January 13, 2015.
- "Sox send McCarthy to Rangers | whitesox.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "White Sox and Rangers Complete Trade". Beyond the Box Score. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Matthew Goodman (2008-07-31). "Ken Griffey Jr. Heads To Chicago White Sox For Nick Masset and Danny Richar". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "Rockies agree with two relievers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Rockies notes: Tyler Chatwood to 60-day DL; Masset called up; Tulo honored". Blogs.denverpost.com. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Snyder, Matt (June 17, 2014). "Nick Masset suspended three games for hitting Evan Gattis with pitch". CBS Sports.
- "Reliever Masset and Marlins agree to minor league deal". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 13, 2015. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
-  2013-9-15.
-  2013-9-15.
- Reds trade Ken Griffey Jr. to White Sox. Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. 2008-07-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Masset.|