Masset with the Cincinnati Reds
|Colorado Rockies – No. 37|
May 17, 1982 |
St. Petersburg, Florida
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 27, 2006 for the Texas Rangers|
(through June 17, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.79|
Nicholas Allen Masset (born May 17, 1982) is an American professional baseball right-handed relief pitcher for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He attended Pinellas Park High School and after graduating St. Petersburg Junior College. He was drafted in the eighth round of the 2000 amateur draft.
Chicago White Sox
On July 31, 2008, Masset, along with infielder Danny Richar were both traded to the Cincinnati Reds for Ken Griffey Jr. After the trade Masset appeared in 10 games for the Reds going 1-0 with an ERA of 2.08 in 17 1/3 innings. The 2009 season saw Masset going 5-1 in 76 innings with an earned run average of 2.37. In 2010 Masset went 4-4 in 76 2/3 with an ERA of 3.40. In 2011 Masset went 3-6 in 70 1/3 innings to an ERA of 3.71. At the start of the 2012 Masset was sidelined with right sholder injury. He would not pitch all year before on September 7 having surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule. Masset was expected to be ready for the start of the 2013 season but would again miss the entire season. Masset will have to have surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome.
Masset agreed to a minor league contract with the Colorado Rockies for the 2014 season. He was called up on May 5, relieving for the first time in 2 years. On June 17, Masset was suspended for 3 games following an incident against Atlanta in which he was ejected for throwing at Evan Gattis. Masset elected to not appeal the suspension and began serving it on June 17. Through 20 games before the suspension, Masset was 1-0 with a 4.00 ERA, striking out 16 in 18 appearances.
- "Sox send McCarthy to Rangers | whitesox.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "White Sox and Rangers Complete Trade". Beyond the Box Score. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Matthew Goodman (2008-07-31). "Ken Griffey Jr. Heads To Chicago White Sox For Nick Masset and Danny Richar". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "Rockies agree with two relievers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Rockies notes: Tyler Chatwood to 60-day DL; Masset called up; Tulo honored". Blogs.denverpost.com. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Snyder, Matt (June 17, 2014). "Nick Masset suspended three games for hitting Evan Gattis with pitch". CBS Sports.
-  2013-9-15.
-  2013-9-15.
- Reds trade Ken Griffey Jr. to White Sox. Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. 2008-07-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Masset.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)