30 December 1951 |
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Event(s)||middle- and long-distance running|
|Club||Bristol Athletics Club|
Nicholas ("Nick") Henry Rose (born 30 December 1951) is a former British international track and field athlete. He competed in a variety of middle distance and long-distance running events. He is the current European record holder in the 10 kilometre road race, and British record holder in the 4×1 mile relay event. He set the world record in the half-marathon in 1979. His personal best in the half-marathon is 1:01:03, the second fastest British time after Steve Jones. He also held the British record in the 2 miles event with 8:18.4—a record which stood for 24 years exactly.
Rose's first major victory came in the NCAA Men's Cross Country Championship in 1974, competing for Western Kentucky University. He successfully made the progression to professional athletics, running the fastest indoor 3000 metres time of any athlete in 1978. He was the national champion in the 10,000 metres in 1980.
He ran in the IAAF World Cross Country Championships twice. He made his first appearance in 1979 where he finished 21st and was a member of the winning English team. He returned the following year and this time took the bronze in the individual event and led the English team to an overall victory.
Rose competed at the 1980 Summer Olympics in the 5000 metres event but failed to qualify for the final. He took the silver medal at the 1982 Commonwealth Games, coming second to Dave Moorcroft in the 5000 metres. Rose competed only once at the World Championships in Athletics, finishing in seventh in the 10,000 metres in 1983. He found success at the 1983 Gate River Run in Florida however, winning the 15 km race in 43:42. Rose made his second Olympic appearance at the 1984 Summer Olympics, this time competing in the 10,000 metres event, finishing twelfth in the final. He won the national championships in the 10000 metres race in 1984.
- Sports-reference biography Nick Rose. Sports-Reference. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- 10 Kilometres All Time Top List. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-01.
- UNITED KINGDOM ALL-TIME LISTS - MEN. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- Early birthday present for Colin Jackson as John Mayock breaks 24-year-old British record. IAAF (2002-02-17). Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- All-time men's best 3000 m. All time Athletics. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- AAA CHAMPIONSHIPS (MEN). GBR athletics. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS. GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- COMMONWEALTH GAMES MEDALLISTS - ATHLETICS (MEN). GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- Men 10000m Athletics World Championship 1983 Helsinki (FIN) - Tuesday 09.08 . Todor66. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- Gate River Run History Of Winners. Official Gate River Run website. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
- Sports Lion. Retrieved on 2009-04-28.
|Men's Half Marathon World Record Holder
14 October 1979 – 7 December 1979