Spencer at the New York Comic Con in Manhattan, October 9, 2010.
Thief of Thieves
Iron Man 2.0
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Morning Glories, Thief of Thieves, Bedlam), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Secret Avengers, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Avengers World).
While in college, Spencer wrote three pitches to Marvel Comics soon after the Marvel Knights imprint launched in 1998. According to Spencer, "Joe [Quesada] didn’t like the first two but the third one was a Black Cat pitch that was a Jackie Brown kind of Tarantino-esque thing. He said he liked that one but they weren’t going to do anything with anybody new at the time." After another pitch was rejected, this time by Oni Press, Spencer went on to work in other fields, including politics and music, before he successfully pitched Existence 2.0 to Jim Valentino of Image Comics. The first issue was released in July 2009. A second miniseries, Existence 3.0, followed in November. In 2010, Paramount Pictures acquired the rights to Existence 2.0, and a film is in development through Platinum Dunes with Miles Millar and Alfred Gough to adapt and executive produce. Spencer also wrote Forgetless and Shuddertown at Image. An A.V. Club review of Shuddertown stated that Spencer "has become one of the finest practitioners" of crime noir in comics.
Spencer's first ongoing series, Morning Glories, was released in August 2010. He has written a seven-part Jimmy Olsen co-feature for DC Comics beginning in September's Action Comics #893 which will conclude in a one-shot to be released March 30, 2011 and is writing the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents monthly debuting in November 2010. He was scheduled to take over as the writer of Supergirl in January 2011 with issue #60, but DC announced soon after that he will only be co-scripting one issue. Spencer is writing Iron Man 2.0, a new War Machine ongoing for Marvel Comics which debuted in February 2011. Spencer will also be taking over writing duties on Secret Avengers from Ed Brubaker as of #13. It was announced at the Emerald City Comic Con that Spencer has signed an exclusive contract with Marvel, although he will be allowed to continue writing his existing titles at both DC and Image.
Spencer is one of three writers announced to be working on "Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn", a relaunch of Marvel Comics' Ultimate Marvel line, along with Jonathan Hickman and Brian Michael Bendis. Spencer will be writing Ultimate Comics X-Men.
- Existence 2.0/3.0 #1-3, #1-4 (with Joe Eisma, 2009-2010) collected as Existence 2.0/3.0 (tpb, 144 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-6070-6299-2)
- Forgetless #1-5 (with Scott Forbes, Jorge Coelho and Marley Zarcone, 2009–2010) collected as Forgetless (tpb, 128 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-6070-6361-1)
- Shuddertown #1-4 (with Adam Green, 2010) collected as Shuddertown (hc, 128 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-6070-6943-1)
- Fractured Fables: Cinderella (with Rodin Esquejo, 2010) collected in Fractured Fables (hc, 160 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-6070-6269-0; tpb, 2012, ISBN 1-6070-6496-0)
- Morning Glories (with Joe Eisma, 2010–present) collected as:
- For a Better Future (collects #1–6, tpb, 192 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-60706-307-7)
- All Will Be Free (collects #7-12, tpb, 168 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-60706-407-3)
- P.E. (collects #13-19, tpb, 240 pages, 2012, ISBN 1-60706-558-4)
- Truants (collects #20–25, tpb, 216 pages, 2013, ISBN 1-60706-727-7)
- Tests (collects #26–29, tpb, 136 pages, 2013, ISBN 1-60706-774-9)
- Demerits (collects #30–34, tpb, 144 pages, 2013, ISBN 1-60706-774-9)
- Honors (collects #35–38, tpb, 124 pages, 2014, ISBN 1-6070-6943-1)
- Infinite Vacation #1-5 (with Christian Ward, 2011–2013) collected as Infinite Vacation (hc, 191 pages, 2013, ISBN 1-6070-6721-8)
- Thief of Thieves (with Robert Kirkman and Shawn Martinbrough, 2012) collected as:
- I Quit (collects #1-7, 152 pages, 2012, ISBN 1-6070-6592-4)
- Bedlam (with Riley Rossmo and Ryan Browne, 2012–present) collected as:
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (with CAFU, Howard Porter, Adriana Melo, Livesay, Norman Lee, Howard Chaykin and George Perez, 2010-2012) collected as:
- Volume 1 (collects v1 #1-10, tpb, 160 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3254-X)
- Volume 2 (collects v2 #1-6)
- Iron Man 2.0 (with Barry Kitson, Kano and Ariel Olivetti, 2011)
- Ultimate Comics: Fallout #2-6 (with Lee Garbett, Eric Nguyen, Clayton Crain and Luke Ross, 2011) collected as Ultimate Comics: Fallout (hc, 136 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-5912-6; tpb, 2012, ISBN 0-7851-5913-4)
- Ultimate Comics: X-Men (with Paco Medina and Carlo Barberi, 2011-2012)
- Secret Avengers (with Scott Eaton, Luke Ross, Butch Guice and Ales Kot, 2011–present)
- Avengers (with Jonathan Hickman, Mike Deodato, Stefano Caselli, Marco Rudy and Marco Checchetto, 2013)
- "Prelude to Infinity" (collects #12-17, hc, 152 pages, 2013, ISBN 0-7851-6852-7)
- Avengers World (with Jonathan Hickman and Stefano Caselli, 2014–present)
- A.I.M.PIRE (collects #1-5, tpb, 120 pages, 2014, ISBN 0-7851-8981-5)
- Spider-Island: Cloak & Dagger #1-3 (with Emma Rios, 2011) collected in Spider-Man: Spider-Island Companion (tpb, 360 pages, 2012, ISBN 0-7851-6229-1)
- Superior Foes of Spider-Man (with Steve Lieber, 2013–present)
- Callan, Jonathan (2009-06-15). "Image's New "Existence"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- Wigler, Josh (2009-10-29). "Nick Spencer's 'Existence 3.0'". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- Nemiroff, Perri (2010-03-16). "Paramount To Adapt The Comic Existence 2.0". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Ching, Albert (2010-08-03). "Nick Spencer Takes Readers to School with 'Morning Glories'". Newsarama. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- Handlen, Zack; Heller, Jason; Murray, Noel; Phipps, Keith; Pierce, Leonard; Robinson, Tasha (2010-03-26). "Comics Panel". The A.V. Club (The Onion). Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Kaare Andrews Covers Marvel's Ultimate Relaunch". Comic Book Resources.com. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Arrant, Chris (2009-06-23). "Existential Comics: Talking to the Creators of Existence 2.0". Newsarama. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Wigler, Josh (2009-09-29). "Nick Spencer Wants You To Remember Forgetless". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Arrant, Chris (2009-12-29). "Creator Nick Spencer Hopes You Remember Image's Forgetless". Newsarama. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Wigler, Josh (2010-01-22). "Visiting Spencer's Shuddertown". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Wigler, Josh (2010-04-12). "Nick Spencer's Thriving Existence". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Renaud, Jeffrey (2010-07-19). "Spencer Reloads T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Mahadeo, Kevin (2010-07-20). "Spencer Takes "Action" with Jimmy Olsen". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Ching, Albert (2010-08-03). "Nick Spencer Takes Readers to School with Morning Glories". Newsarama. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Ching, Albert (2010-09-22). "Jimmy Olsen, Chloe Sullivan, Nick Spencer and Action Comics". Newsarama. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- Nick Spencer at the Comic Book DB