Vujicic speaking in a church in Ehringshausen, Germany, April 2011
4 December 1982 |
|Education||Double bachelor's degree in accounting and financial planning|
|Alma mater||Griffith University|
|Occupation||Evangelist, preacher, motivational speaker, Director of Life Without Limbs|
|Spouse(s)||Kanae Miyahara (m. 2012)|
Nicholas James "Nick" Vujicic (// VOY-i-chich; Serbian: Николас Џејмс Вујичић, Nikolas Džejms Vujičić; born 4 December 1982) is an Australian Christian evangelist and motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of all four limbs. As a child, he struggled mentally and emotionally as well as physically, but eventually came to terms with his disability and, at the age of seventeen, started his own non-profit organisation, Life Without Limbs. Vujicic presents motivational speeches worldwide which focus on life with a disability, hope and finding meaning in life. He also speaks about his belief that God can use any willing heart to do his work and that God is big enough to overcome any disability.
Background and personal life
Nick Vujicic was born to Duška and Boris Vujicic in 1982 in Melbourne, Australia. Although he was an otherwise healthy baby, he was born without arms and legs; he had no legs, but two small feet, one of which had two toes. He has two siblings, Michelle and Aaron.
During secondary school, Vujicic was elected captain of Runcorn State High School in Queensland and worked with the student council on fundraising events for local charities and disability campaigns. When he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group and later founded his non-profit organisation, Life Without Limbs.
Vujicic has written that he keeps a pair of shoes in his closet due to his belief in miracles.
Vujicic graduated from Griffith University at the age of 21 with a Bachelor of Commerce, with a double major in accountancy and financial planning. Subsequently he became a motivational speaker, travelling internationally and focusing on teen issues. Having addressed over three million people in over 24 countries on five continents, he speaks to corporate audiences, congregations and schools.
Vujicic promotes his work through television shows and through his writing. His first book, Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life (Random House, 2010) was published in 2010. He markets a motivational DVD, Life's Greater Purpose, a short documentary filmed in 2005 highlighting his home life and regular activities. The second part of the DVD was filmed at his local church in Brisbane – one of his first professional motivational speeches. He markets a DVD for young people titled No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!.
In March 2008, he was interviewed by Bob Cummings for the 20/20 American television show.
He starred in the short film The Butterfly Circus, which won the Doorpost Film Project's top prize of 2009 and the Best Short Film award at the Method Fest Film Festival, where Vujicic was also awarded Best Actor in a short film. Butterfly Circus also won the best short film award at The Feel Good Film Festival in Hollywood in 2010.
- "Life Without Limbs: About Nick Vujicic". Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- "About Nick". Lifewithoutlimbs.org. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Limbless Motivational Speaker, Nick Vujicic Is Married! | Leadership Newspapers". Leadership.ng. 16 February 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- Riley, Jennifer (30 March 2008). "Limbless Evangelist Preaches Joy in Christ". Christian Post Reporter. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- "Nick Vujicic: Never Miss an Opportunity to Act Upon Your Faith | Gospelherald.net-Chinese Christian News Online". Gospelherald.net. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Attitude is Altitude: No Arms, No Legs, No Worries". Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- "No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!". Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Butterfly Circus Wins The Doorpost Film Project's $100,000 First Prize". Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Disabled World Towards Tomorrow". Retrieved 24 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Vujicic.|