Nick Young (basketball)
Nick Young with the Wizards in 2010.
|No. 0 – Los Angeles Lakers|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
June 1, 1985 |
Los Angeles, California
|Listed height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Listed weight||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school||Cleveland (Los Angeles, California)|
|NBA draft||2007 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16th overall|
|Selected by the Washington Wizards|
|2012||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2013–present||Los Angeles Lakers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Nicholas Aaron "Nick" Young (born June 1, 1985) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He plays both shooting guard and small forward.
High school career
Young played for Cleveland High School, in suburban Reseda, California. He averaged 27.2 points and 10.8 rebounds as a 2004 senior at Cleveland, earning 2004 CIF L.A. City Section, Los Angeles Times All-City and San Fernando Valley first team honors. He shot 57.3% from the field and 46.8% from three-point range (52-of-111), had 48 steals and 41 blocks as Cleveland finished 25–4. Young was tabbed the seventh-best player in the country by HoopScoop and listed by prep basketball guru Frank Burlison as among the Top 50 recruits in 2004. He once scored 56 points in one game and had 23 rebounds in another. He earned CIF L.A. City Section first team honors in 2003 and was included in a list of Top Seniors by Athlon heading into 2004.
Young played for the University of Southern California from 2004 to 2007 and was All-Pac-10 First Team in the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons. In the 2007 NCAA Tournament, Young led the fifth-seeded Trojans to a berth in the Sweet Sixteen, where they lost to the one-seeded North Carolina Tar Heels, 74–64. Along the way, Young led USC to a 77–60 first-round win against Arkansas. In the 2nd round, Young led the team with 22 points over the Texas Longhorns in an 87–68 rout of the team featuring the National Player of the Year, Kevin Durant, though Durant led both teams in scoring with 30.
Following his junior season, as expected, Young announced on April 15, 2007 to the Los Angeles Times that he would forgo his senior year to turn professional and enter the 2007 NBA Draft, where he was selected with the 16th overall pick by the Washington Wizards.
On January 9, 2010, Young was fined $10,000 by the Washington Wizards for participating in Gilbert Arenas' antics before a game on January 5, 2010 against the Philadelphia 76ers. Arenas was being investigated for a prior incident involving guns in the Wizards' locker room, but made light of the accusations by pointing his finger at his teammates, as if he were shooting them. His teammates were photographed smiling and laughing with him.
Los Angeles Clippers
On March 15, 2012, Nick Young was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers in a three-way trade involving the Denver Nuggets and Washington Wizards. Later, on April 16, 2012, he helped the Clippers clinch their first playoff berth in 6 years with a 19 point performance against the Oklahoma City Thunder. He was also a key part of the Clippers' comeback victory against the Memphis Grizzlies in game one of the first round of the 2012 playoffs, making three three-pointers in under a minute.
Los Angeles Lakers
On July 11, 2013, Young signed with the Los Angeles Lakers. During the 2013–14 season, he converted six 4-point plays (a Lakers' franchise record), while averaging 17.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and career-high 1.5 assists per game.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Young is also the main subject of a documentary titled Second Chance Season, in which his exploits, short-comings, and success are reviewed by the biopic's director, Daniel H. Forer. Rapper Kendrick Lamar is his cousin. Young's nickname is Swaggy P, which is in his Twitter handle. In November 2013, there were rumors that he was romantically involved with Australian rapper Iggy Azalea after they had contact on Twitter and the two were spotted out on a date in Los Angeles. It was later confirmed by Iggy Azalea herself that the two had been dating for around 8 months in a radio interview with the HOT97 in April 2014.
- 9:57 PM ET, March 23, 2007IZOD Center, East Rutherford, NJ (2007-03-23). "UNC pulls off biggest rally of the season to dismiss USC". Sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- 9:45 PM ET, March 16, 2007Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA (2007-03-16). "Gibson keys decisive Trojan victory over Hogs". Sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- 5:15 PM ET, March 18, 2007Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA (2007-03-18). "Young pours in 22 points for USC in blowout of Texas". Sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Andy KatzSenior Writer, ESPN.comFollowArchive (2007-04-16). "Trojans' Young set to declare but may not get agent". Sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "USC's Young passes on senior year, turns pro". Sports.espn.go.com. 2007-04-17. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "The Washington Wizards have fined four players for participating in Arenas' antics". Sports.espn.go.com. 2010-01-09. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "Wizards vs. Kings: Nick Young scores 43 and Washington survives meltdowns to win in overtime, 136-133". Washingtonpost.com. 2011-01-12. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Sixers Sign Free Agent Guard Nick Young
- "Lakers Sign Nick Young". NBA.com. July 21, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Lakers Sign Nick Young". NBA.com. July 21, 2014. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Nick Young Agrees To Re-Sign With Lakers On Four-Year, $21.5M Deal". RealGM.com. July 11, 2014. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Second Chance Season (2007) - Movie Info - Yahoo! Movies
- Interview: Nick Young Talks Style, His Cousin Kendrick Lamar and His Experience With a Fire Extinguisher
- "Iggy Azalea Finds Love On Twitter With NBA Star Nick Young". Mobo.com. 13 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Iggy Azalea confirms relationship with NBA Star Nick Young". hot97.com. 22 April 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Young.|
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Nick Young at ESPN.com
- Nick Young at usctrojans.com