Nickelodeon Rewind is a spin-off brand of Nickelodeon consisting of DVDs, digital downloads, television blocks, and other merchandise having to do with programs formerly aired on the channel. Beginning in June 2010, Nickelodeon Rewind is being featured as a part of Comcast On Demand programming, with a lineup that features Nicktoons that aired in the 1990s. Select episodes of The Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Rugrats, and Doug, are available until December 31, 2010. As of October 2013, Nickelodeon Rewind is still available On Demand.
Nickelodeon Rewind was originally a collection of DVDs and merchandise that featured "classic" Nickelodeon television shows such as Clarissa Explains It All, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, and You Can't Do That on Television. After being launched in 2005, Nick Rewind entered the realm of television airings with the "Nick Rewind" programming block featured on Nickelodeon during the Summer of 2006. Nick Rewind was essentially put on hold, with the exception of some Amazon DVD releases, until June 2010 when a Nickelodeon Rewind feature appeared on Comcast through OnDemand, featuring episodes of The Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Doug, The Ren and Stimpy Show, and Rugrats. In the UK, Nicktoons TV was, as of July 2011, airing The Amanda Show as part of the Nicktoons Rewind feature. In 2011, Nickelodeon Rewind went mainstream with the release of DVDs through Shout! Factory and the The '90s Are All That block of TeenNick.
- The Original Nickelodeon Rewind DVDs
Nickelodeon Rewind began as a collection of DVDs of older Nickelodeon television shows. The first two DVDs in this collection were released on May 17, 2005: Clarissa Explains It All and The Adventures of Pete and Pete. These DVDs sold so well that Nickelodeon then released Season 2 of Pete and Pete in November 2005. The third season of Pete and Pete, as well as Volume One of "You Can't Do That on Television", were set for release in the spring of 2006, but after several postponements, the releases never occurred and are still seen as being "on hiatus.". Many suspect this to be due to Nickelodeon's parent company, Viacom, splitting with CBS, causing the resignation of Nickelodeon's president, Herb Scannell. Other reports have suggested that the clearances for You Can't Do That on Television were too complicated for a DVD release, since it not only involves the numerous cast members who appeared on the show, but also involves the show's owner, CJOH-TV in Ottawa, Ontario, and in turn that station's current owner, the CTV Network division of CTVglobemedia.
- Amazon.com DVDs
In 2008, Nickelodeon struck a deal with Amazon.com to sell exclusive DVD sets which included various shows under the Nickelodeon name, including Doug, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Arnold. These DVDs were widely criticized for being nothing more than DVD-R's that were burned to order, leading to a prohibitive cost, pricing many out of purchasing them.
- Shout! Factory DVDs
In 2011, Nickelodeon reached a deal with Shout! Factory to release classic Nickelodeon shows on DVD. These shows have included Hey Dude, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, CatDog, Hey Arnold, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, The Wild Thornberrys and Danny Phantom.
Nickelodeon Rewind is also a brand of merchandise and clothing relating to older Nickelodeon shows, and was sold exclusively at Hot Topic stores. This collection included items from such shows as Salute Your Shorts, Double Dare, Hey Dude, Rocko's Modern Life, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Clarissa Explains It All, and You Can't Do That on Television. They're still being sold as of 2010. Through Zazzle, Nickelodeon launched a webstore in 2011 that sells classic Nickelodeon merchandise, accessible through the Nickelodeon website.
2006 Television block
Nickelodeon Rewind was an hour long block on Nickelodeon that aired from 1:00 - 2:00 pm EDT every Sunday in the summer of 2006. It featured such shows as The Wild Thornberrys, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, Rocket Power, and The Ren & Stimpy Show. It also featured old Nickelodeon bumpers and station ads. Nickelodeon let viewers vote on their website for the shows they most wanted to see each Sunday. Some of these shows were also available on their online video service, TurboNick.
The 90s Are All That
In March 2011, Keith Dawkins, Senior VP and General Manager for Nicktoons and TeenNick, announced that TeenNick would air a television block called "The '90s Are All That" that began airing on July 25, 2011. Nickelodeon made this surprising move in response to overwhelming demand from fans who want to re-live their favorite childhood shows. ‘90’s Nick programming has 9 million fans on Facebook alone. The block airs weeknights from midnight to 2 A.M. Shows airing on the block (as of now) are Kenan & Kel, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Rugrats, and All That. Fridays currently feature U-Pick hosted by Stick Stickly.
Digital Download Services
The New "Nickelodeon Rewind" logo is on iTunes since September 28, 2009. Nickelodeon Rewind became available on iTunes in July 2007. Nickelodeon Rewind Volume One is now available. Volume 2 was released in May 2008. More recently, several shows have been released under a "Nickelodeon Rewind" section on the Xbox 360's and PlayStation 3's respective video services, as well as the Microsoft Zune.
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Switching Hour
- CatDog: Dog Gone/All You Can't Eat
- The Angry Beavers: Born to be Beavers/
- Doug: Doug Bags a Neematoad
- Hey Arnold: Downtown as Fruits/Eugene's Bike
- Rocket Power: New Squid on the Block/Down the Drain
- Rocko's Modern Life: Carnival Knowledge/Sand in Your Navel
- As Told by Ginger: Ginger the Juvie
- The Angry Beavers: A Dam Too Far/Long in the Teeth
- Hey Arnold: The Little Pink Book/Field Trip
- Rocket Power: Secret Spot/Ice Queens
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: Monsters, Get Real/Snorched If You Do, Snorched If You Don't
- Rocko's Modern Life: A Sucker for the Suck-o-Matic/Canned
- Doug: Doug Can't Dance/Doug Gets Busted
- Salute Your Shorts: Sponge's Night Out
- Clarissa Explains It All: The Return of Aunt Mafalda
- Hey Dude: Superstition
- Rugrats: Reptar 2010/Stu Gets a Job
- Doug: Doug Takes the Case/Doug's Secret Song
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: History of the Monster World, Pt. 1/Fear Thy Name is Ickis
- Hey Arnold!: Stinky Goes Hollywood/Olga Gets Engaged
- The Angry Beavers: Long Tall Daggy/Practical Jerks
- Clarissa Explains It All: Poetic Justice
- Hey Arnold!: Dangerous Lumber/Mr. Hyunh Goes Country
- Rocket Power: Merv Links to Otto/Big Air
- Rocko's Modern Life: Lounge Singer/She's a Toad
- Rugrats: The Wild, Wild West/Angelica for a Day
- The Wild Thornberrys: Tiger By the Tail
Full seasons and best of volumes
- Allegra's Window: Season 1
- Rugrats: Best of Vol. 1-9; Seasons 1-3
- Hey Arnold!: Best of Vol. 1-8
- Doug: Seasons 1-4
- Rocko's Modern Life: Best of Vol. 1-8
- Rocket Power: Best of Vol. 1-5
- The Amanda Show: Best of Vol. 1-4
- Clarissa Explains It All: Best of Vol. 1-5
- The Angry Beavers: Best of Vol. 1-6
- Hey Dude: Seasons 1-4
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: Seasons 1-4
- The Wild Thornberrys: Best of Vol. 1-9
- As Told By Ginger: Volumes 1-6
- Salute Your Shorts: Volumes 1-2
- Invader Zim: Volumes 1-3 & The Complete Series
- The Secret World of Alex Mack: Seasons 1-2
- The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo: Seasons 1-2
- Gullah Gullah Island: Seasons 1-2
- Catdog: Seasons 1-3
- Kenan & Kel: Seasons 1-4
- All That: Volumes 1-4
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?: Volumes 1-7
- Oh Yeah! Cartoons: Volumes 1-3
- You Can't Do That On Television: Volumes 1-3
- Family Double Dare: Volumes 1-2
- Super Sloppy Double Dare: Volumes 1-2
- Legends of the Hidden Temple: Volumes 1-2
- Global GUTS: Volume 1
- Figure it Out: Volumes 1-2
- The Nick Cannon Show: Volumes 1-2
- Halloween Vol.1 - 2008
- Halloween Vol.2- 2009
Zune & Xbox LIVE
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (Seasons 1, 2)
- All Grown Up (Season 1)
- Angry Beavers (Season 1)
- Clarissa Explains It All (Best of, Vol. 1)
- Doug (Season 1, 2)
- Hey Arnold! (Seasons 1, 2, 3)
- Hey Dude (Season 1 & 2)
- Ren and Stimpy (Seasons 1, 2, 3)
- Rocko's Modern Life (Seasons 1, 2)
- Rugrats (Seasons 1, 2)
- Rugrats: Tommy Pickles: Natural Bald Leader!
- Salute Your Shorts (Season 1 & 2)
- The Secret World of Alex Mack (Season 1)
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (Seasons 1, 2)
- The Amanda Show (Best of, Vol. 1, 2)
- Angry Beavers (Best of, Vol. 1, 2)
- Clarissa Explains It All (Best of, Vol. 1)
- Doug (Seasons 1, 2)
- Hey Arnold! (Seasons 1, 2)
- Hey Dude (Season 1)
- Ren and Stimpy (Best of, Vol.1, 2, 3)
- Rocket Power (Best of, Vol.1)
- Rocko's Modern Life (Best of, Vol. 1, 2)
- Rugrats (Best of, Vol.1, 2, Tommy Pickles:Natural Bald Leader!)
- The Wild Thornberry's (Best of, Vol. 1)
- David Lamber=2005. "Nick launches 'Rewind Collection' with 1st Season of Clarissa". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.
- David Lambert (2005). "Nick's 'Rewind Collection' continues with Pete & Pete". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.
- David Lambert (2005). "More 'Rewind Collection' fun with 2nd Season of Pete & Pete". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.
- David Lambert (2005). "The Boys are Back for Season 3". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.
- David Lambert (2006). "Maybe You Can't Do That on DVD...at least not yet". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.
- "Hot Topic - Search Results for Nickelodeon". HotTopic.com. Retrieved December 16, 2006.