|Genre(s)||Side-scrolling platform game|
Nicky Boum, more commonly known as Nicky Boom, is a side-scrolling platform game originally released for the Commodore Amiga, Atari ST and MS-DOS by Microïds in 1992. The game began a second life in 2008, with a remake for mopbile phones, which was made available for Windows computers late in 2008. It was ported to the Tapwave Zodiac handheld in 2006 and is also available for Mac OS X on the Mac App Store. Nicky Boom was followed by a sequel titled Nicky 2 in 1993.
The player controls a little boy named Nicky. Nicky can walk, jump, and throw apple cores to defend himself. The player can pick up other items to throw at enemies, such as bouncy balls and logs that can be also used to build bridges at certain parts of the levels. Nicky is also able to jump on enemies to defeat them, which is often more difficult but lets the monsters drop point items to collect. The game consists of eight levels based on four separate themes, including swamp, forest and castle.
Little Nicky's grandfather was kidnapped by the cruel witch Zoldrane to force him to help her in making of a terrible spell. Nicky embarks on an adventure through a fantastical land to the witch's castle so he can destroy her and save his grandfather.
Nicky Boom received mixed reviews, including ratings of 50% from Amiga Power and 65% from CU Amiga. A more positive review by Amiga Computing (82%) stated Nicky Boom "is unlikely to be remembered as an all-time Amiga great, but having said that, it does possess that certain addictiveness and fun quality that many games in that genre lack."
A sequel to the game was released in 1993. In this game, Nicky needs to defeat Zoldrane's vengeful sister.
- "Nicky - News: New game: Nicky Boum". Chrilith.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Mac App Store - Nicky Boom". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Tim Janssen. "Amiga Reviews: Nicky Boum 1". Amigareviews.leveluphost.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Amiga Computing magazine issue 57 (February 1993)". Archive.org. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- NickyBoom official website
- Play Nicky Boum and Nicky 2 at Microids website
- Nicky Boom at MobyGames
- Nicky Boom & Nicky 2 at DotEmu
|This video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|