"Head", by Nicolas Carone, Circa 1979
June 4, 1917|
New York City, United States
|Died||July 15, 2010
Hudson, New York United States
|Training||National Academy of Design, Art Students League of New York, Hans Hofmann School of Fine Arts, Rome Academy of Fine Arts|
|Awards||1941 Prix de Rome; 1949 Fulbright Fellowship; Pollock-Krasner Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award|
Nicolas Carone (June 4, 1917 – July 15, 2010) belonged to the early generation of New York School Abstract Expressionist artists whose artistic innovation by the 1950s had been recognized across the Atlantic, including Paris. New York School Abstract Expressionism, represented by Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning, Franz Kline, Conrad Marca-Relli and others became a leading art movement of the postwar era.
He began formal art studies at the age of eleven at the Leonardo da Vinci School located at St. Mark's Church on E.10th St. He studied at the National Academy of Design under Leon Kroll, Art Students League of New York, Hans Hofmann School of Fine Arts, and the Rome Academy of Fine Arts. In 1941 he won the Prix de Rome and in 1949 a Fulbright Fellowship. His time in Italy after World War II brought him into personal contact with important Italian painters, particularly Giorgio Morandi.
He participated in the 9th Street Art Exhibition in 1951 and along with other first generation abstract expressionists, he showed his work at the Stable Gallery. Carone was a part of the Abstract Expressionist movement, which relied heavily on Surrealism, poetry and interpretations of Jungian psychology. He was a good friend of the much-lauded American painter, Jackson Pollock and was interviewed by authors Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith for their biography, "Jackson Pollock: An American Saga."
Nicolas Carone's work is in the collections of museums including the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Baltimore Museum of Art, and the Mobile Museum of Art. Recent exhibits of his work were held at the Washburn Gallery in New York City from February 2 to March 31, 2012, and the Watson MacRae Gallery in South Florida from March 2 to April 3, 2010.
Carone taught at universities including Yale University, Columbia University, Brandeis University, Cornell University, Cooper Union, School of Visual Arts, and Skowhegan School. He was a founding faculty member of the New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture, where he taught for 25 years. In 1988 he founded the International School of Art, located first in Todi, Italy and then in Nearby Montecastello. Carone was consulted with by dealers, collectors and film makers regarding his expertise on Arshile Gorky and Pollock including for the films, Pollock (film), starring Ed Harris, and Who the *$&% Is Jackson Pollock? In 2001, he was elected into the National Academy of Design.
- New York School Abstract Expressionists Artists Choice by Artists, (New York School Press, 2000.) ISBN 0-9677994-0-6, pp.16, 19
- "Nicolas Carone: Jazz, Poetry, and Jackson Pollock" May 2, 2012
- Lindsay Pollock News, Painter Nicholas Carone 1917-2010 Retrieved July 21, 2010
- Joren Lindholm's IMX Matter Nicolas Carone dies
- Marika Herskovic, American Abstract and Figurative Expressionism Style Is Timely Art Is Timeless An Illustrated Survey With Artists' Statements, Artwork and Biographies. (New York School Press, 2009.) ISBN 978-0-9677994-2-1. p. 64-67
- Marika Herskovic, American Abstract Expressionism of the 1950s An Illustrated Survey, (New York School Press, 2003.) ISBN 0-9677994-1-4. p. 74-77
- Marika Herskovic, New York School Abstract Expressionists Artists Choice by Artists, (New York School Press, 2000.) ISBN 0-9677994-0-6. p. 8; p. 16; p. 19; p. 25; p. 36; p. 94-97
- Leja, Michael, "Reframing Abstract Expressionism: Subjectivity and Painting in the 1940s. Yale University Press. 1993. ISBN 0-300-07082-9
- Hilton Kramer, Nicolas Carone Shows He’s Still Unsurpassed On the Female Nude | The New York Observer Nov. 2005
- Nicolas Carone at the Lohin Geduld Gallery: list of exhibitions Nicolas Carone (American), 1917: Featured artist works, exhibitions and biography fromLohin Geduld Gallery
- Thomas Longhi, The Brooklyn Rail
- Smithsonian Archive Interview 
- New York Studio School 
- Brooklyn Rail interview
- 9th Street Art Exhibition-abstract expressionist artists reminisce—from YouTube.com
- Nicolas Carone-Abstract Expressionism-Artist of the 9th Street Art Exhibition—from youtube.com
- Nicolas Carone: In Memoriam by David Rigsbee, The Brooklyn Rail