Nicolas Véron is a French economist. He is a Senior Fellow at Bruegel, the Brussels-based think tank, and a Visiting Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington DC. In 2012 he was included in the 50 Most Influential list of Bloomberg Markets Magazine.
Research and career
In recent years he has frequently commented on the global and European financial crisis since 2007-08. In this context, he has developed policy proposals on European banking supervisory and resolution structures and on the restructuring of the European banking sector, the latter together with Adam S. Posen. Sine 2002 he has contributed to the policy debate on international accounting and particularly on the governance of the International Accounting Standards Board.
He writes a monthly column on business and finance which is regularly published by various national and international media including Vox-EU, Caixin', The Globe and Mail, Il Sole 24 Ore, Kathimerini, Les Échos, and Radikal.
Véron cofounded Bruegel together with Jean Pisani-Ferry, starting in late 2002. Before then, he had been Chief Financial Officer of MultiMania / Lycos France, a publicly listed French Internet company, in 2000-2002, and a French civil servant, including as the corporate advisor to Labor Minister Martine Aubry in 1997-2000. He is an alumnus of École Polytechnique and École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris.
He joined the board of the derivatives arm of DTCC (Global Trade Repository) in July 2013 as an independent director. He is also a member of the Business and Economic Advisory Group of the Atlantic Council, of the Corporate Disclosure Policy Council of the CFA Institute, and of the Accounting and Auditing Practices Committee of the International Corporate Governance Network.
- L'Architecture des villes, with Ricardo Bofill (Odile Jacob Publisher, 1995 - ISBN 2-7381-0304-9)
- Smoke & Mirrors, Inc.: Accounting for Capitalism, with Matthieu Autret and Alfred Galichon (Cornell University Press, 2006 - ISBN 978-0-8014-4416-6)
- The Global Accounting Experiment (Bruegel, 2007 - ISBN 978-90-78910-02-2)
- Le grand dérèglement - Chroniques du capitalisme financier (Lignes de Repères, 2009 - ISBN 978-2-915752-46-5)
- Transatlantic Economic Challenges in an Era of Growing Multipolarity, co-editor with Jacob Funk Kirkegaard and Guntram Wolff (Peterson Institute for International Economics, 2012 - ISBN 978-0-88132-645-1)
- Veron, Nicolas. "Testimony to the U.S. Senate on the European Debt and Financial Crisis".
- Véron, Nicolas. "Is Europe ready for a major banking crisis?". Bruegel. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- Posen, Adam and Nicolas Véron. "POLICY BRIEF 09-13: A Solution for Europe's Banking Problem". Peterson Institute for International Economics. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- Véron, Nicolas. "Keeping the promise of global accounting standards". Bruegel. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- IFRS Foundation. "Strategy Review Roundtable in New York, June 2011".
- "Business and Economics Advisors Group | Atlantic Council". Acus.org. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- "Corporate Disclosure Policy Council". Cfainstitute.org. Retrieved 2012-05-20.